Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auriou, the renowned rasp maker

Auriou, the renowned rasp maker

I saw something unique this week regarding the Auriou rasp-making facility in France. They are seeking direct financial support from individuals in order to keep their facility operating. This is akin to a "Go Fund Me" solicitation, except post start-up. I did order a rasp from one of their dealers in response, but I wondered why they wouldn't offer an incentive to spur business rather than to just seek direct support? A plea for donations surely will be short term, as opposed to a plan to increase their sales and build a longer term plan for survival. Could U.S. trade tariffs have something to do with this? Anyway, I post this from the perspective of " go buy that Auriou rasp(s) you have always wanted while they are still available". If you are moved to donate you can go to their website.

Mike I went to this site https://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com

I see no mention from Michel Auriou of this or any link or something to donate. Is there another site or a Go Fund Me page? I checked another French rasp maker Lioger and didn't see anything there either.

Thanks,

Vincent

Here is the Highland newsletter:
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...2018+Wood+News

The link for Auriou is in the article and there is a translate option for the Auriou pages.

An interesting read in the fundraiser page. Thanks again Mike!

Paul Sellers also did a write up about this..

FWIW: they make an excellent rasp. Given the rally in the $ vs the Euro, now may be an excellent time to buy, which you can do direct from their website:

https://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com

Odd. Here's a quote from the Auriou site:

"Since re-starting his factory in 2008 with essential and considerable help from Classic Hand Tools (UK) and Magma (Austria), who just couldn't bare to let this legendary business die, Michel Auriou is making a wide range of rasps and rifflers for wood and stone with a strong team of skilled blacksmiths and rasp stitchers.

In 2017 ownership of the business became French again with both CHT & Magma reverting to approved stockist status having succeeded in saving the legendary rasp making business in very turbulent and difficult trading times. Bravo!"

Unless you are a chair maker or do a lot of sculptural work, such pricey rasps are beyond reach of most hobbyist woodworkers. Auriou also has a strong competitor in EU: Loigier. Can the limited demand for such rasps support two handmade rasp vendors? Time will tell.

I use a rasp in about 1 out of every 5 projects, and the hand cut rasps are from Lee Valley, under $30 a piece.Well worth the money.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I have three of their rasps, they’re pretty nice. If you’re careful it takes a long time to use up a rasp.

For really fine work I prefer to use a file.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Unless you are a chair maker or do a lot of sculptural work, such pricey rasps are beyond reach of most hobbyist woodworkers.
    High quality has the disadvantage of high prices. The cost of my two Auriou rasps has long been forgotten. The pleasure of using them is renewed each time one is put to work. Though some of my Italian made rifflers are nice, they do not quite come up to the same quality as an Auriou.

My understanding is there are some legal strictures in French labor law such as a cash reserve requirement for funding wages during times of low demand, read layoffs, among other agreements and practices.

As others have suggested, maybe this is a good time to fulfill our desires and order a rasp or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Though some of my Italian made rifflers are nice, they do not quite come up to the same quality as an Auriou.

jtk
    These ones are also excellent for their prices: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...44&cat=1,42524

I use them to carve one of a kind cabinet door knobs. Quick stock removal and shaping even with light touches, followed by a swipe or two with 220x and the job is done. How could they hand cut these for just $75 a set and still make a profit is beyond me?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    If you’re careful it takes a long time to use up a rasp.

For really fine work I prefer to use a file.
    Brian,

Truth be told, I have not had success with finishing a curve piece with rasps alone. The finest rasps still leave marks that I want to remove with a card scraper, a shave or sand paper, depending on the curvature. I use rasps mostly for stock removal than as a surface-finishing tool. I wonder if a rasped surface and a planed surface might look different after a stain finish is applied. Any experience with that?

Simon

Blog Entries
    I don’t finish anything curved with a rasp, I use a super fine precision file (00), followed with steel wool. The rasp just gets me a profile in tight spots where I can’t reasonably get a shave. I have small shaves but they’re sometimes more effort than they’re worth by comparison to rasp or file.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Steward/ MacDonald offers reasonably priced hand stitched rasps also.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

One thing to keep in mind.

“Auriou” is no longer owned by the Auriou family. There was a falling out with the labor unions and the family who owned the business was basically forced out through some strange twist of French law....

The current Auriou family owned business is the Forge of St. Juery (or however you spell it). They are making high quality French rasps there now.

So.. Before you go donate - please research a bit to understand what you are actually donating to and where the money is actually going. If it’s going to “Auriou” - it could be a ploy created by somebody who is not the Auriou family to soak folks under the guise of supporting a historic business that makes fine tools...