Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with a table saw decision

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Walton View Post
    I went and looked at Job site saws at Lowes yesterday and I have to ask what's up with the texturing on the tables? All of them, to varying extents, had texturing on the table top. It seems like that would promote the piece grabbing and, therefore, inaccurate cuts. Of course I'm just starting out here so maybe, in my inexperience, I'm overestimating how much of an effect it would have?

Or is there an easy way of smoothing them down that I'm missing?
    Unless you need portability to move the saw from jobsite to jobsite, I would not buy a portable saw. While functional, you simply give up the lion's share of advantages for the sake of portability. The full size saws are much quieter, have more torque, have substantially more mass, are made from more robust materials, accommodate more standard accessories, can be easily upgraded, are more reliable, more feasible to repair, and there's a ton more room in front of the blade to stabilize the work piece on before it cuts.

Last edited by scott spencer; 08-13-2018 at 4:42 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

That Delta saw was one of my first table saws. I also bought it off craigslist for $200. After a few years, the casting on the unifence cracked off right where the lever locks down. I ended up upgrading to a Biesemeyer fence soon after but had trouble matching up the threaded holes, so had to add a few of my own. It's a great saw, but not for $440. I think the $200 to $300 is a fair price. It will always leave you wanting more.

Here’s our Bosch saw and stand , and the saw horse outfeed table. The Bosch has a better fence to create jigs that can ride on the fence , better than the DeWalt saw.

FF40E2B4-CDEF-417B-8FD4-96E3493BDB2C.jpg

This is a robust saw , decent power , now it’s no 220 V 3HP kind of power BUT it is better, IMO, than a belt drive 1 1/2HP 110 contractors saw.

A2B6E976-4D02-4419-9B48-CB459236CDCA.jpg

Here’s my reasons I like the Beisemeyer style fence. I have jigs I can either drop right onto the fence so I have a high fence , for raising panels , or making cuts on things that need to go thru edge wise.
    That same fence doubles on my router table / router lift fence , yes I have to feed the router from the far side , so far that’s not been a issue.

I have a 1” block I can clamp on with the Rockler holder deal, thing when I use my cut off box to cut wide plywood panels or other parts. Just add one inch and Bob’s your uncle!

I have a jig I can slide over the fence for tenon cutting.

I have the elevated fence that I also use for cutting tenons.

This is why I much rather have a “slick” fence , rather than a Uni-Fence. Jim may have figured out how to jig off a Uni-fence , I never could.
    I don’t see a Uni-fence to be as user friendly , it’s a OK fence , as far as what I’d call normal cutting , but it’s not jig-able.

2F657749-7F6F-40FA-B729-04FA93CDEA1A.jpg

Yes you get a bit more table in front of the blade , BUT where people get jammed up on a table saw is at the outfeed side , and the LH side .

On out site saws we could make the outfeed table L shaped to come down to the saw front , BUT you lose potabiltiy in doing that. If we have to buck up some 4x8 sheets we team up to rip the sheets to a more user friendly width.

2317977E-88E8-46FA-9FDD-849EDD49B2B0.jpg

There’s isn’t a “perfect” answer, the end user / OP’er has to decide what options are most important to him , for his individual situation.
    Last edited by Paul Girouard; 08-13-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Here is another option. Drive a couple hours and save some cash. The Kirksville one appears to have cast iron wings.
    quincy.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-contractors-table-saw/6637849263.html

kirksville.craigslist.org/tls/d/table-saw/6660249217.html
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 08-13-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Here is another option. Drive a couple hours and save some cash. The Kirksville one appears to have cast iron wings.
    quincy.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-contractors-table-saw/6637849263.html

kirksville.craigslist.org/tls/d/table-saw/6660249217.html
    That saw is from the Shopmaster line, and is smaller than a standard contractor saw, along with having a universal motor.

Other possibilities at reasonable prices:
    - 'https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d/ridgid-10-table-saw-with/6668534724.html[/url] (I'd offer $250)

- 'https://quincy.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-contractors-table-saw/6637849263.html

- 'https://desmoines.craigslist.org/tls/d/craftsman-10-inch-3hp-tablesaw/6643527134.html (has the upgraded fence)

- 'https://desmoines.craigslist.org/for/d/table-saw-delta/6668146585.html

- 'https://quincy.craigslist.org/tls/d/10-inch-cabinet-saw-with-cast/6635865520.html (might be a long drive, is more money, but is a heck of a saw)
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-14-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: removed direct links
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post

This is why I much rather have a “slick” fence , rather than a Uni-Fence. Jim may have figured out how to jig off a Uni-fence , I never could.
    I don’t see a Uni-fence to be as user friendly , it’s a OK fence , as far as what I’d call normal cutting , but it’s not jig-able.
    That wasn't really an issue for me as the functionality of the high/low fence relative to usability and safety was more important to me. But there's also an aftermarket "square" fence available (or easily manufactured by the end user) that would provide the same benefit as a fixed Bessy style fence for jigging if needed. That period of time when I had the Jet cabinet saw inbetween the Delta contractors' style saw with the UniFence and my current slider was painful to me relative to the rip fence because I truly love the high/low benefits. I run my rip fence in the low position most of the time, actually.

But that's me and everyone has to keep what's best for themselves in mind!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    It may seem that we are giving you more to think about than answers to what you feel is a simple question. Unfortunately, there are a lot of opinions and preferences when it comes to tablesaws.
    Actually this kind of discussion is precisely what I was hoping for. I'm getting some very sound advice as well as hearing what certain people like versus what they don't like and agreeing and sometimes contrasting opinions. Some might see it as confusing but I think of it as things I should keep in mind. If I get this saw with unifence, Paul has given me some things to pay attention to regarding the fence, they may bother me, they may not. But if I come up against something I dislike about it, it gives me fodder for something else to look for in the future. I'm also learning a lot about what can be changed with after market parts, I would probably have never thought about trying to buy an aftermarket fence for example.

I've also got some solid ideas for things to look for in future saws.

I think it's great.

I think you will find that if a fence holds its settings and locks down parallel every time, whether it is Bies or Unifence won't change your life much. I have both and like both. I keep the aftermarket extrusion for the Unif as well as the high low. The key is to buy as much quality as you can afford. The little things that may annoy you are not deal breakers. Dave

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the saw, especially since it has a Unifence, that's a big safety improvement over a fixed fence.............Regards, Rod.

Despite being a novice, I currently have a 34-444, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a good first saw, on a moderate budget. Think i paid somewhere near $250 a couple years ago, and that was without the UniFence and mobile base. If i were to upgrade the fence on mine today, it would go to the bottom of the upgrade wish list while i continue to build out the rest of my shop. It's more than adequate for my needs, which typically cap out at 8/4 stock. My motor on my saw is the oddball "1-1/2 -- 2" hp version, which can be rewired between 110/220. The realities of that are for another discussion, but it definitely feels like a true 1.5 hp motor at present. The UniFence on the ones you show are also not to be overlooked -- big plus there over stock/standard fences.

The upgrade path from a USA-made contractor saw like would either be for power (cabinet saw territory) or features (better dust collection, fence, riving knife, sawstop's hot-dog sparing technology, etc.), or both. If you're only concerned with power, then yes, its possible to find a higher HP cabinet saw for $400 and some elbow grease. If the other bells and whistles are important, then you'd most likely be looking for a used new-er era saw, which puts you well over $400, at least in my area.

I'd probably offer $350 and not feel bad if i ended up closer to $375.

Good luck!

You haven't brought it home yet?

It's probably in someone else's shop by now.

Charley

It's still available, I've been in contact with the seller for both saws. But I'm seriously considering driving up the chicago area for that delta cabinet saw that scott posted.