Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting older is good exercise

Getting older is good exercise

If I want something from the basement I often have to go there 2 or 3 times to get it. I don't complain, I just keep moving.

Blog Entries
    I also take advantage of the directions of "down" and "up" getting farther away. Just keep moving. I'm in my 60's and work with 40-somethings that are much older than I am.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For this very reason, we refer to our house as a "Five Hundred Thousand Dollar Stair Master." What gripes me is to think "I'm going to do this before I forget, but forget any way." I'm just not fast enough. Being on the north side of 70, I still work regularly, but I have found that plywood and sheet rock tend to be heavier than they used to be. Same goes for 80# bags of concrete mix. This week, ran some new Freon lines for new heat pump. Had to replace a soffit board that refused to come down gracefully. Thought to myself, forty years ago, I had no trouble running up and down ladder when building our house. The older I get, the better I used to be.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 08-11-2018 at 9:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Much of my exercise is from going into the kitchen then forgetting what it was until sitting back down. If it happens more than twice, then it is time for pencil and paper to come to the rescue.

At least my trips to the mailbox haven't ended in forgetfulness. That will be the time to formulate a new plan.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    For this very reason, we refer to our house as a "Five Hundred Thousand Dollar Stair Master." What gripes me is to think "I'm going to do this before I forget, but forget any way." I'm just not fast enough. Being on the north side of 70, I still work regularly, but I have found that plywood and sheet rock tend to be heavier than they used to be. Same goes for 80# bags of concrete mix. This week, ran some new Freon lines for new heat pump. Had to replace a soffit board that refused to come down gracefully. Thought to myself, forty years ago, I had no trouble running up and down ladder when building our house. The older I get, the better I used to be.
    It is a known scientific FACT that the older one gets, the force of gravity increases at an exponential rate!
    Glad to help you

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    It is a known scientific FACT that the older one gets, the force of gravity increases at an exponential rate!
    Glad to help you

Bruce
    So that's why I have "Furniture Disease." FYI, furniture disease is when your chest has fallen into your drawers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Much of my exercise is from going into the kitchen then forgetting what it was until sitting back down
    I refer to that as living in the hereafter. I walk into the kitchen and ask myself "What did I come in here after?".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am close and closer to my 60. Up to recently I could not recognize any difference from my late 20s... but now...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I am close and closer to my 60. Up to recently I could not recognize any difference from my late 20s... but now...
    One must be in good shape to survive getting old.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-13-2018 at 1:48 PM. Reason: wording change
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there. George Burns

Stairs are great as long as you don't need to use them. For some reason the thought of a home elevator keeps inserting itself into my mind.
    It's survival of the fittest, or is it just survival? I'm too worn out to answer. Regardless, I'm still good to go.

The wife and I were talking a year ago about all the bedrooms being upstairs. No problem now, however, looking to the future, should we be looking for something all on one level? Three months later we were moving in to a single story house. Ten months later, however, I am noticing that I struggle a bit when confronted with stairs. Taking it easy isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

5 years ago I converted the garage into more space for engraving shop equipment. The garage door is right at the top of the basement stairs, the 'main' shop is downstairs...

I probably go up/down those stairs 25-30 times a day. All I've gotten from all that 'exercise' is 5 years older and sore legs...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My laundry machines, chest freezer and computers are in the basement. I do all the house's laundry (including my 20 yo son's) pack and unpack the freezer after bulk purchases and trade my stocks by going to the basement. I'm getting to be 74.
    Im fortunate. Wife's in her 60s and is not so mobile.
    I'm going to enjoy it while I can.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    So that's why I have "Furniture Disease." FYI, furniture disease is when your chest has fallen into your drawers
    Hilarious! I'm gonna use that one....................if I don't forget!