Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Getting older is good exercise

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    224

    Getting older is good exercise

    If I want something from the basement I often have to go there 2 or 3 times to get it. I don't complain, I just keep moving.

  2. #2
    I also take advantage of the directions of "down" and "up" getting farther away. Just keep moving. I'm in my 60's and work with 40-somethings that are much older than I am.
    She said “How many woodworking tools do you need?”
    I said “Why? Do you know someone who is selling some?”


  3. #3
    For this very reason, we refer to our house as a "Five Hundred Thousand Dollar Stair Master." What gripes me is to think "I'm going to do this before I forget, but forget any way." I'm just not fast enough. Being on the north side of 70, I still work regularly, but I have found that plywood and sheet rock tend to be heavier than they used to be. Same goes for 80# bags of concrete mix. This week, ran some new Freon lines for new heat pump. Had to replace a soffit board that refused to come down gracefully. Thought to myself, forty years ago, I had no trouble running up and down ladder when building our house. The older I get, the better I used to be.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 08-11-2018 at 9:58 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    17,813
    Blog Entries
    1
    Much of my exercise is from going into the kitchen then forgetting what it was until sitting back down. If it happens more than twice, then it is time for pencil and paper to come to the rescue.

    At least my trips to the mailbox haven't ended in forgetfulness. That will be the time to formulate a new plan.

    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SE South Dakota
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    For this very reason, we refer to our house as a "Five Hundred Thousand Dollar Stair Master." What gripes me is to think "I'm going to do this before I forget, but forget any way." I'm just not fast enough. Being on the north side of 70, I still work regularly, but I have found that plywood and sheet rock tend to be heavier than they used to be. Same goes for 80# bags of concrete mix. This week, ran some new Freon lines for new heat pump. Had to replace a soffit board that refused to come down gracefully. Thought to myself, forty years ago, I had no trouble running up and down ladder when building our house. The older I get, the better I used to be.
    It is a known scientific FACT that the older one gets, the force of gravity increases at an exponential rate!
    Glad to help you

    Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    It is a known scientific FACT that the older one gets, the force of gravity increases at an exponential rate!
    Glad to help you

    Bruce
    So that's why I have "Furniture Disease." FYI, furniture disease is when your chest has fallen into your drawers

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Much of my exercise is from going into the kitchen then forgetting what it was until sitting back down
    I refer to that as living in the hereafter. I walk into the kitchen and ask myself "What did I come in here after?".
    She said “How many woodworking tools do you need?”
    I said “Why? Do you know someone who is selling some?”


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Itapevi, SP - Brazil
    Posts
    221
    I am close and closer to my 60. Up to recently I could not recognize any difference from my late 20s... but now...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Longview WA
    Posts
    17,813
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I am close and closer to my 60. Up to recently I could not recognize any difference from my late 20s... but now...
    One must be in good shape to survive getting old.

    jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-13-2018 at 1:48 PM. Reason: wording change
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    Posts
    125
    You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there. George Burns

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bedford, NH
    Posts
    1,047
    Stairs are great as long as you don't need to use them. For some reason the thought of a home elevator keeps inserting itself into my mind.
    It's survival of the fittest, or is it just survival? I'm too worn out to answer. Regardless, I'm still good to go.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Posts
    718
    The wife and I were talking a year ago about all the bedrooms being upstairs. No problem now, however, looking to the future, should we be looking for something all on one level? Three months later we were moving in to a single story house. Ten months later, however, I am noticing that I struggle a bit when confronted with stairs. Taking it easy isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

  13. #13
    5 years ago I converted the garage into more space for engraving shop equipment. The garage door is right at the top of the basement stairs, the 'main' shop is downstairs...

    I probably go up/down those stairs 25-30 times a day. All I've gotten from all that 'exercise' is 5 years older and sore legs...
    4 LASERS -- Gravograph LS900 -- GCC Explorer -- Triumph 1390 -- Triumph Galvo Fiber
    10 CNC ROTARY ENGRAVERS -- NH C2000 -- NH V3200 -- NH V3400 x2 -- NH V3400CL rotary -- NH V5000 -- NH V5000XT x2 -- Gravograph IS400 -- Gravograph IS7000
    Vinyl: NH 20" vinyl cutter
    Extraction: 3 -HF 'green' blowers, 1 HF 'big' blower
    4 -air compressors, 3 -drill presses, 3 -grinders, 3 -shears, 4 -saws, mini-lathe


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    32
    My laundry machines, chest freezer and computers are in the basement. I do all the house's laundry (including my 20 yo son's) pack and unpack the freezer after bulk purchases and trade my stocks by going to the basement. I'm getting to be 74.
    Im fortunate. Wife's in her 60s and is not so mobile.
    I'm going to enjoy it while I can.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    So that's why I have "Furniture Disease." FYI, furniture disease is when your chest has fallen into your drawers
    Hilarious! I'm gonna use that one....................if I don't forget!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •