Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Lie Nielsen Block or Rabbet plane.

  1. #16
    My favorite low angle block plane is the Stanley #65 knuckle joint block plane with a modern blade (I have several of the #65's). But that's just my personal preference. As Derek said earlier, the LV PM-V11 blade holds an edge for a long time.

    The LN 60 1/2 is an excellent plane, also, but does not come with the PM-V11 blade, of course.

    Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not far enough from Chicago
    Posts
    850
    There are three block planes in the LN line that I prefer to the rabbet block for usefulness: First, the 60-1/2. Second, the 102. Third, the 140. The 140 can trim tenons and make rabbets. If you must choose just one, the 60-1/2 is just about perfect, but would not be ideal for fitting tenons. A nice wide chisel or a shoulder plane, following good sawing, can do that with practice. My rabbet block doesn't see much use.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 08-12-2018 at 11:45 AM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Rob, I have had a LN #103 for about 20 years. This came with a wide mouth. A couple of years ago I decided to do something about it - glue brass shim to the bed ...This did the trick. The mouth is now as I would want it ...




    Regards from Perth

    Derek
    Ive used that trick before on an old coffin smoother. It works well.

    I was in the shop earlier today and measured the mouth opening of my #102. Its just shy of 5/64, about .070. I guess Im not as bothered as I was at first, considering what I use it for and that it will still easily take a .001 shaving on white oak. I had a little contest between the 102 and the 60 1/2 with the mouth set very tight and there was really no difference. If I get into some odd grain I suppose the 60 1/2 will win the day.
    It's wood dust. Saw dust would suggest a problem.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My favorite low angle block plane is the Stanley #65 knuckle joint block plane with a modern blade (I have several of the #65's). But that's just my personal preference. As Derek said earlier, the LV PM-V11 blade holds an edge for a long time.

    The LN 60 1/2 is an excellent plane, also, but does not come with the PM-V11 blade, of course.

    Mike
    do you use the PM-V11 blade in your #65? My #65 and #18 are both candidates for an aftermarket blade but I’m not sure what will fit properly. I considered Hock but I don’t care for the square top.
    It's wood dust. Saw dust would suggest a problem.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Itapevi, SP - Brazil
    Posts
    257

    Exclamation I went to Lie Nielsen 60 1/2

    Some months ago I was at similar dilemma: I went to Lie Nielsen 60 1/2.

    I brought the question to this forum and kindly I received several answers. I can resume them:

    1) Rabbet block plane will cut you
    2) Rabbet block plane cannot be used in a shoot board
    3) Rabbet block plane cannot replace a shoulder plane

    I am plenty glad with my LN 60 1/2. Strongly recommended.

    All the best.

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    do you use the PM-V11 blade in your #65? My #65 and #18 are both candidates for an aftermarket blade but I’m not sure what will fit properly. I considered Hock but I don’t care for the square top.
    I just went and checked. The #65's have PM-V11 irons. A normal angle one has a LV A2 iron. Would you like a couple of pictures to see how they fit and what they look like installed?

    Mike

    Here's some pictures. Hope that helps. A #65 is on the left (and top in the second pix). I forget what the one on the right is - maybe an 18? It's a normal angle, not a low angle.

    2018-08-12-Block-Planes-001.jpg2018-08-12-Block-Planes-003.jpg2018-08-12-Block-Planes-002.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-12-2018 at 4:38 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    992
    Those look like a good fit. Looking forward to the next free shipping event. Looks like we have similar taste. Here’s my stable of block planes: #012, #60 1/2, #65, #18

    Last edited by Rob Luter; 08-13-2018 at 9:28 AM.
    It's wood dust. Saw dust would suggest a problem.

  8. #23
    I have the 102, the 60 1/2 & the skew block but mine does not have the nicker. I use it very seldom compared to the other two. I love the 60 1/2 but wish it was available in the bronze rather than the iron body. The LN plane I use the most is the #62 low angle jack. I have the toothed blade for it as well. It is a fabulous tool and worth a look.
    I covered Maine in my business for 25 years. I got to the point where I would not drive the coast road as I had to go through Warren, because if I did I'd leave with something from LN. It was a nice problem to have. If you ever get a chance to go to Maine, schedule a visit to LN.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I have the 102, the 60 1/2 & the skew block but mine does not have the nicker. I use it very seldom compared to the other two. I love the 60 1/2 but wish it was available in the bronze rather than the iron body. The LN plane I use the most is the #62 low angle jack. I have the toothed blade for it as well. It is a fabulous tool and worth a look.
    I covered Maine in my business for 25 years. I got to the point where I would not drive the coast road as I had to go through Warren, because if I did I'd leave with something from LN. It was a nice problem to have. If you ever get a chance to go to Maine, schedule a visit to LN.
    When I bought my LN rabbet block plane it did not come with nickers. I contacted LN and for a reasonable fee they put nickers on it (one on each side). They would probably add a nicker to your skew block plane.

    Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Libertyville, IL (Chicago - North)
    Posts
    326
    Dave, I don't know what your experience is or how large your tool hoard is, but I am a proponent of the Rabbet Block plane. When I got the LN Rabbet Block, I had an old hand me down block plane that worked fine. The Rabbet Block was the first top quality plane I owned. The Rabbet Block became a go to tool for many clean ups. I was not as accurate with my sawing then and used it very often to make things right. I eventually upgraded the old Stanley block plane with a new blade. That made a big improvement. I have also added a LN 103 to the arsenal (super awesome). But the Rabbet Block is a keeper, a regular user and a tool I really appreciate. I think it is a very versatile addition to a early stage kit. FWIW,
    I never have cut myself on the blade, (nor have I done that on my shoulder plane) but I do see how that could happen.

  11. #26
    Thanks, Mike. I will check into that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •