Thread: Bolts for Boice Crane jointer?

Bolts for Boice Crane jointer?

I just picked up a Boice Crane jointer, circa 1950s. I need to find a set of short bolts to hold the knives in place. The bolts are 1/4 inch in diameter with 28 threads per inch. The threaded length is 1/4 inch. The most important thing is that the hex heads are smaller than standard-size bolts, and fit a 5/16 wrench. Does anyone have a source for these? I've tried Lowe's, Fastenal, etc but I can't find this size.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Craig

If you can't find that particular bolt, you could use set screws instead. 1/4-28 is a standard thread. You'd use an allen wrench to tighten the screws.

I went to McMaster-Carr and couldn't find a hex head 1/4-28 less than half an inch long. Following Jamie's suggestion, I found a pack of 50 SOCKET HEAD screws in that size for $12. It's item number 91251A462 if you decide to go that way.

Link to socket head screws.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Would that application require a harder type of steel considering load and speed of the head, etc,???
    Check out the Old Woodworking Machine forum--OWWM--m Lots of vintage rebuild info there.