Thread: Would cooling metal help reduce melting?

Would cooling metal help reduce melting?

Kind of a curious question more than anything. If you were able to sufficiently cool the metal you're trying to cut, would it reduce or eliminate melting? I'm guinea pigging myself right now, cutting brass, stainless steel, etc. and in testing settings, I notice that sometimes it gets a bulgy look near the edges, which I assume is caused by overheating/melting of the metal itself. I guess I could increase the speed, increase frequency, but beyond that, do you think cooling it would even be effective? I could rig up a port to blow cold air directly on the metal while it's cutting, but I'm not going through that hassle unless I'd get a net positive there.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

I've cut mylar while floating it on water in an attempt to eliminate the mushroomed edge I was getting, and it didn't help a bit...

I remember Dave mentioning something about a C02's wavelength has something to do with the not-so-perfect edge, so cutting cold mylar may be different than cutting cold metal as to the slag, but still, I think the sheer amount of localized heat at the beam spot, even under water, is going to be hard to temper down...

mylar1.jpgmylar2.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Nope, won't help at all, the reality is to cut metal properly you need minimum 300 watts in a Fibre and better still 500 to 750 watts.

No substitute for raw power and fast gas to be honest
    You did what !