Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Combo jointer / planer question

Kind of like Beta vs VHS ( dating me ). I've got Tersa on my SAC planer and a Byrd on my Delta DC33. For 90% of the work I prefer the Tersa but the Byrd is good for a planer that doesn't have a chipbreaker or pressure bar. hope the Knapp is holding up for you. Great build compared to current machinery. Dave

Thanks for Sam's contact info and the info on the Folder folks!

Apparently someone called and ordered an A3-41 and referenced my post here. The felder rep called me to thank me personally Wednesday. Very nice touch. Whoever it was I’m envious of the extra 4” capacity but happy the posts might have helped someone else out too.

On another note my Powermatic 54A with shelix head sold. Getting picked up tomorrow or Monday, so just need to get my DW735 listed and sold next.

And the Felder field rep emailed this morning that they should have everything processed on my order Monday when people get back from IWF and they can get my A3-31 shipped out this coming week. Whoop, whoop.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-25-2018 at 2:23 PM.

Good for you, Greg! I'm working on getting the final quote before ordering. It must be like Christmas over there.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Good for you, Greg! I'm working on getting the final quote before ordering. It must be like Christmas over there.
    Thanks. I looked at the Tersa minimax quite a bit. Watched a ton of videos comparing it to the hammer. Ultimately decided the hammer was a better package for me and in my neighborhood garage shop the noise reduction of the segmented cutter was important. I’m sure both are great machines though if you went that way.

Received the Hammer A3-31. Must say I’m very happy to see the Torx head screws in the crate. Made the disassembly easy. Will figure out how to get it off the pallet and put the wheel kit on tomorrow.

p3051332785-4.jpg

p3051332740-4.jpg

p3051333019-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-04-2018 at 8:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Received the Hammer A3-31. Must say I’m very happy to see the Tory head screws in the crate. Made the disassembly easy. Will figure out how to get it off the pallet and put the wheel kit on tomorrow.

p3051332785-4.jpg

p3051332740-4.jpg

p3051333019-4.jpg
    Very nice Greg, I swear the guys in the shipping department are paid by the screw and staple:-)

I normally roll it off using some rollers and putting it on blocks if I don't have a pallet jack. Felder have a good video on unpacking and assembling the machine.............Rod.

Congratulations! That was a fast ship, indeed.

Try to work out a way to "combine" removal from the pallet and installing the mobility setup if you can since the pallet has the unit up off the floor and gives you access to the tool's bottom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats, Greg! Looks like you'll be having a lot of fun in the very near future. Hope you have plenty of wood lying around. There's visions of you turning them into shavings dancing in my head.

Congrats, Greg! Save those screws - they're GRK screws that cost ~$0.10/ea, and you'll find plenty of uses for them!

Awesome! Congrats Greg! Mine is coming any day now and Im super excited!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks guys.

So my pallet is different than the the one in the Felder video. Much taller and narrower. How the heck can I safely get this thing off here without a forklift? Any ideas?

p3052481688-3.jpg

p3052481718-4.jpg

p3052481694-3.jpg

p3052481609-4.jpg

In the Felder video, they built a ramp. But the pallet wasn't made for Florida storm surges.

My plans are to put the JP on the mobile base (I went with the Portamate 3500) and roll it off. So the ramp will have to have both a small incline and be sturdy. But you don't have the mobile kit yet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    In the Felder video, they built a ramp. But the pallet wasn't made for Florida storm surges.

My plans are to put the JP on the mobile base (I went with the Portamate 3500) and roll it off. So the ramp will have to have both a small incline and be sturdy. But you don't have the mobile kit yet, right?
    I do have the mobility kit but it mounts to the back of the machine and not the sides. The pallet at 9” high and the sheer weight of this thing make me apprehensive to just try to slide or roll it off. To use a pallet jack it will have to be a narrow model based on the measurements and they are not easy to come by without a hefty cost and truck freight shipping. Even with it I’d have to build up the side of the crate for the left fork to have something to roll on. I thought about buying a harbor freight engine hoist but that just creates something else to have to store, even folded up.

i can slide the unit side to side on the pallet, but really don’t know how to lift when I can’t use the wings, other than a pallet jack or engine hoist. At this point, Im thinking the safest bet may be the engine hoist though.

Greg, have you checked on renting an engine hoist?