Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Combo jointer / planer question

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Just my .2$. Don't get me wrong...I now really like my MM FS30 Smart J/P, which is a 12". I have a small garage shop and the space savings is great. Switching over from J to P is not really a big deal, as I try to do all my jointing first, then planing. Here's the thing...for years, I dealt with the tables not being flat. It was pretty unreliable as you can imagine. All MM did for me was to refer me to a professional machine adjuster, which did little good. I finally had to spend $800 to have my FS30 tables ground flat. Now, the machine works as it should have, years and $800 later.
    Pick the machine manufacturer with the best after-sale Customer Service. Chances are, at some point, you'll need it, no matter the machine.
    That stinks, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. However my FS30 was flawless. And I beat it like a rented mule...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    No power or space for a 25” planer. After looking at nice big jointers like an Oliver 10”, I’m back thinking I don’t have space for a big jointer and big planer. Even with shedding some stuff and clearing floor space. It means a 12” combo probably makes most sense. Hate making choices like this. Ugh.
    Dont forget to check the footprint of the combo...

my combo measures 1100mm itself, but I need at least 250mm behind the machine so when it flipped up in planer mode, there is space for the guard. effectively the front face of my 20" combo is 1400mm away from the wall. I was planning for it to be hard against the wall, if space is premium, this gap is really a waste of space...

IMG_3120.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I went with a 30 amp circuit and 10 gauge wire.
    I did the same for mine. Can always use the circuit for another tool that might have a higher power requirement

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I did the same for mine. Can always use the circuit for another tool that might have a higher power requirement

Clint
    Like a Minimax MM16

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    Dont forget to check the footprint of the combo...

my combo measures 1100mm itself, but I need at least 250mm behind the machine so when it flipped up in planer mode, there is space for the guard. effectively the front face of my 20" combo is 1400mm away from the wall. I was planning for it to be hard against the wall, if space is premium, this gap is really a waste of space...

IMG_3120.jpg
    Good point. Who makes a 20” combo?

im not in a huge hurry to decide since I have working 6” jointer and 13” dewalt planer, both with shelix heads. I listed my jointer on the higher end price wise since it’s like new and has the shelix. If/when it sells then I’ll take another step. I am still working through a space layout change up so next up will be either selling or dismantling my miter station. Gotta decide which route is best and if I have a use for the materials to justify recycling them. Slowly I’ll get my floor space opened up more which will allow more options if I decide on separates.

Good point. Who makes a 20” combo?

Hi Greg, Felder make a couple, here's one.

https://www.felder-group.com/us-us/p...r-dual-51.html

They also make the AD951

Regards, Rod.

Oh wow. Not even going to look up the price on that monster.

Had and a bite on my jointer and planer but felt the price was too low. I Made a counter offer but no commitment yet. I’m not going to get serious about making my ultimate machine decision until my current ones sell. Don’t want to commit on the new one and put myself into a position of needing to sell the current ones.

How did the German made Grizzly G0660X 16” combo machine compare to the Hammer?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-J...-Planer/G0660X

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0660x_ds.pdf

I don't recall much mention of the Grizz combo, if at all. It's also listed as discontinued on that link you provided.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes it is. It’s an IXES Plana 7 apparently in grizzly paint. Grizzly has their last one, floor demo, for sale. Just wondering if it was a good machine. Apparently has Tersa style leitz blades.

Yes it is. It’s an IXES Plana 7 apparently in grizzly paint. Grizzly has their last one, floor demo, for sale. Just wondering if it was a good machine. Apparently has Tersa style leitz blades.
    Hi Greg, when I read the spec's it doesn't like a Tersa knife, it sounds like a double edged pinhole type to me.

Of course that doesn't mean that I'm reading it correctly...........Regards, Rod.

Thanks. It must not have much of a following in the USA as I can’t find much info or reviews on it via google. Just though it seemed like a lot of machine for the price. Although if it isn’t the Tersa setup, the 16” hammer isn’t much more with straight blades.

So if I went separates, will a 16” planer feel like much of an upgrade (other than power wise)? There appear to be some nice 16” machines like the laguna sheartec model. The 20” make a big price jump.

After looking at and thinking about the cost on the A3-31 some more ($5,350 shipped and tax with mobile kit and wheel/gauge) I’m back thinking about separates. Would mean a need to move my layout accordingly but I think with getting rid of my 6’ tool chest recently and deciding to get rid of my huge miter station, I will be freeing up a lot of space. The idea of not having to flip the machine back and forth is appealing. Plus I could start with the larger jointer once mine sells and then a larger planer. Thinking maybe an 8” parallelogram jointer and 15”, 16” or maybe 20” planer. The more I think about the 12” jointer the more I’m not sure I’ll actually need that much width very often. Still thinking it through but am thinking the separates might be a better route to stick with. As you can probably tell, I’m torn. The cost on the A3 gives me a moment of pause to think through 2 bites equaling same price or more vs the single bite of the A3.
    I wonder if others have a Rule of Thumb when sizing machines? Mine is that the resaw capacity of a bandsaw needs to be able to accomodate the width of the jointer, and vice versa. There is not much point in resawing to a limit of 8" because the jointer is only 8" wide. For this reason, the wider the jointer, the better.

That is the value of a combo J/P for me. It is not just that it saves space - if certainly does for me in my double garage - but that I can get the maximum jointer width for my buck. Thicknessing/planing a 12" width (I have the A3-31) has not limited me in any way as I use handplanes for finishing anyway.

Greg, what I am emphasing is that a combo machine gets you a wider jointer, where separates may not. Your work practice may be quite different to mine, and you may build designs or pieces that involve narrower widths. These will dictate what you need by way of sizing machines.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-16-2018 at 7:35 PM.

martin/griggio makes a 630mm (~24") j/p combo, i have one. it's a beast. it has 4 straight tersa knives on a 6" head, with an option for a byrd-style head. personally, i wouldn't trade sharp tersas for anything, they cut beautifully. ... another variable for your consideration.