Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Combo jointer / planer question

Combo jointer / planer question

First question, would anyone regret going from a dewalt 13” with shelix head and 6” powermatic 54a with shelix head to a 12” combo unit with straight knives?

Second question, How do the pack compare? What is the best machine for the price now? Looks like the jet units cost as much as the hammer units. Then there are grizzly and rikon for less. And stinger for somewhere in the mix.

Anyway, was thinking if I went higher end I would go straight knife to keep costs more reasonable. Figure I could sell my units to cover some cost.

Thanks for any pointers as I think this through. Trying to combine to free floor space and pickup larger jointer capacity and more powerful planer.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-10-2018 at 5:38 PM.

You will never regret going with a better machine from the start...Hammer or SCM/Minimax are worthy of your consideration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You will never regret going with a better machine from the start...Hammer or SCM/Minimax are worthy of your consideration.
    Id love the hammer 16” but can’t justify the cost. Was thinking I might could swing the straight blade A3-31 12” model with mobiliy kit if I sold my current machines for enough money. Are the hammer blades good? The dewalt ones sucked which prompted the shelix head.

I agree with your direction you are taking. You just need to save some more money and go better.
    You'll miss the shelix knives.

A3-31 with SilentPower (helical) head?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    A3-31 with SilentPower (helical) head?
    Thats on my short list but I’ll need to save more pennies for the helix head version.

I went from a 54a with a shelix and a delta lunchbox with straight knives to to a A3-31 with a byrd head. Big upgrade which i dont regret. I'd also have been happy with the straight knives but I love a carbide insert head.

I went from lunchbox planer plus other separates to 4-function combo that includes jointer/planer with Tersa (straight) knives. The combo is 10 inch so I gave up a little width to the lunchbox BUT would never go back.

I bought a Minimax JP in December, and it has been a real adventure. I have gotten zero customer service from the guy I bought it from. And the manual is a complete joke. But after I got everything figured out, it has been fine to use. Having a 12 inch jointer is a real luxury.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Anyway, was thinking if I went higher end I would go straight knife to keep costs more reasonable. Figure I could sell my units to cover some cost.
    If you like insert heads, not getting them is just deferring the cost. You still spend the money, and more. The cost savings of insert heads is well published; Google is your friend. The additional cost of my insert heads paid for themselves in about a year and a half based on my hostorical knife sharpen/replacement schedule. YMMV but, the eventual pay off comes sooner than you expect.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi, the Silent Power head is well worth saving for if you're considering the A3-31.

Also buy the digital height gauge, the metric one makes most sense as the planer elevation is 2mm per revolution.

The mobility kit is also well worth it.

There may still be AWF show discounts next week, I would contact Felder on Monday to see if they're still available.........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, the Silent Power head is well worth saving for if you're considering the A3-31.

Also buy the digital height gauge, the metric one makes most sense as the planer elevation is 2mm per revolution.

The mobility kit is also well worth it.

There may still be AWF show discounts next week, I would contact Felder on Monday to see if they're still available.........Regards, Rod.

Oh wow. Price jumped $800 in last 2hours on the A3-31 straight blade. Went from $3,300 to $4,100.

That at doesn’t count another $800 in VAT and shipping. Doh........

I went from a DW735, with Shelix head, and a Powermativ 54A, with Shelix to the A3-31. I did get it with the Silent Power head though, not the straight knives. Like those others before me, I would urge you to go with the helical cutters as well. I’d assume the straight knives would be adequate, but you’ll probably always wish you’d upgraded instead. I’m space challenged in my shop so the sombination unit works well in that aspect. As I’ve stated in other threads, the power afforded by the A3-31 is the biggest advantage, especially when coming from using the DW735.

As stated, definitely get the digital handwheel as well. I got the metric one, which works great on the Hammer where a turn of the handwheel gives that 2mm of travel.

Clint

Second question, How do the pack compare? What is the best machine for the price now? Looks like the jet units cost as much as the hammer units. Then there are grizzly and rikon for less. And stinger for somewhere in the mix.

Thanks for any pointers as I think this through. Trying to combine to free floor space and pickup larger jointer capacity and more powerful planer.
    I've read where the Jet JJP-12 got caught up in the tariff tiff where other machines did not. I have one of the first Jet machines imported into the country, they'd been for sale in Europe prior to their coming here. I have the straight knives, when I bought mine the spiral cutterheads were not available. Straight knives seem fine for straight grained domestics IME. If you're dealing with figured, interlocking grain or abrasive woods I'm sure the spirals are well worth their cost. The spiral heads do appear to require more power. The Jet JJP-12 planer feeds at 20 f.p.m., the spiral head version feeds at 12 f.p.m. Both machines have the same motor.

Oh wow. Price jumped $800 in last 2hours on the A3-31 straight blade. Went from $3,300 to $4,100.

That at doesn’t count another $800 in VAT and shipping. Doh........
    You mention VAT...are you "up north"?? That can factor into folks' recommendations, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...