Thread: Using diamond discs on a Work Sharp 3000

Using diamond discs on a Work Sharp 3000

I would like to hear from people who use diamond discs on their Work Sharp 3000 sharpening machine. Information like what grits do you use? How do they adhere to the glass wheels? Where do you purchase the diamond discs and what do they cost? I am most interested in knowing what grit progression you use. If you can help me out with answers I would appreciate it.

I got mine from Amazon. I have 80, 150, 240, 600, 1200,3000 grit. If I could find some higher I would get them but at 3000 I can shave the hairs off my arm. Just do a search for 6" diamond coated lap. I just set them against the glass plate and screw down the knob.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 12-20-2018 at 6:00 PM.

I have 80,100, 150, 180, 320, 500, 1000, 1500, 1800 and 3000. I have gotten them from eBay, Amazon and directly from China via Aliexpress. I have paid between $9 and $15 each shipped depending on the source, I haven't seen any real difference between the ones I have gotten from different places. I tend to use 500 and higher most of the time but lower when I define bevels.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I also use 80 to 1500 for sharpening turning tools. I bought mine on ebay from China, but now days I would go to Aliexpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I got mine from Amazon. I have 80, 150, 240, 600, 1200,3000 grit. If I could find some higher I would get them but at 3000 I can shave the hairs off my arm. Just do a search for 6" diamond coated lap. I just set them against the glass plate and screw down the knob.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    How about when you turn the glass plate upside down to sharpen chisels? Does the disc stay firmly against the glass plate or does it sag?

I got mine from Amazon also. I'm missing one of the grits, I think its the 500. I don't adhere them to anything, I put them on top of one of the glass plates or just stack the diamond disc on top of each other.

The only thing I don't like is the hole is slightly bigger than it should be and the disc rotates uncentered unless you take the time do do it. But I also find that if it's uncentered it acts like an oscillating belt and keeps the wear more distributed across the disc. It's just un nerving to watch it spin with the wobble.

The discs are relatively inexpensive if you buy them one at a time. I think I paid $13ea. I bought all at once. The 3000 grit came directly from China so it took 2 weeks, the others were in stock and came quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    How about when you turn the glass plate upside down to sharpen chisels? Does the disc stay firmly against the glass plate or does it sag?
    No they don't sag. I use them all the time upside down to sharpen chisels without issue.

How does diamond last? I understood grinding steel or iron with anything less then flood coolant will quickly dissolve the diamond off. AMybe the speed is low enough the temperature satys low enough to not cause a big issue.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How does diamond last? I understood grinding steel or iron with anything less then flood coolant will quickly dissolve the diamond off. AMybe the speed is low enough the temperature satys low enough to not cause a big issue.
    Bill D
    I have never heard that and have never had and issue. It could be the slow speed. It could be the design. I think it is designed to air cool to a certain extent. I also sharpen by moving the chisel in and out of contact with the disc as I sharpen. That helps keeping the chisel cooler.

Make an effort to buy all one brand. That way I have found you will have consistent thickness of the plates. And also grits seem to vary between manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have never heard that and have never had and issue. It could be the slow speed. It could be the design. I think it is designed to air cool to a certain extent. I also sharpen by moving the chisel in and out of contact with the disc as I sharpen. That helps keeping the chisel cooler.
    With the glass discs you can get a heatup because glass is an insulator. With the diamond discs, they base is metal, so it absorbs some of the heat generated and keeps things cooler without the need for a water cooling system. Don't over do it though, it can still get the tips of the tools hot if you're not careful. Still follow the instructions on the WS. It tells you to only do brief touches to the the abrasive. If you follow that advice you will never have an issue.