Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly Industrial G0656 jointer

Judging by what I see on SMC waiting and waiting and waiting for Grizzly tools seems to be a normal thing ..... it would certainly put me off buying one...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Liegel View Post
    I've been waiting on a G0490X jointer since January 14th. Delivery date has slipped 4 separate times and I also got the recent notice that the price will go up $300.
    Interesting! I ordered the G0490X on January 10th. I got the notices about it being backordered and the explanation as to why. I was frustrated but decided to wait because the jointer still seemed like the best deal going. I never received any notices about a price increase (and in fact paid the original price). I got an e-mail on July 12 that it had shipped and received it a few days later. It was definitely worth the wait. Solid piece of equipment. I'm sorry for the inconveniences others have had. I didn't like waiting 6 months for mine but that now seems minor compared to the experience others have had.

Bottom line "buyers" never obligated themselves to buy and Grizzly never obligated themselves to deliver. If Grizzly had taken your money months ago then it might be a different story.

That said I have dumped vendors for (what some might call) lesser perceived offenses. In the end, you were willing to wait to get what you considered the best deal for you, the economic equation has changed, you simply need to do another cost-benefit analysis to determine if you will continue to fish or cut bait. That is a personal decision not something anyone else can make for you, I have watched some people on forums willing to pay the tariff and wait, some have chosen other options to get a machine.

Further, if you step back tariffs can not "succeed" if manufacturers absorb the tariff it is there to provide a disincentive to end customers. The niche hobby woodworking market is likely just an unintended or ill thought out victim. From my POV the only thing they do here is increase the economy of used and Euro machines, I doubt anyone is going away from Grizzly 8" jointers to call Jeff at Northfield to order his US made $14,000 8" jointer nor are the tariffs causing machine importers or potential US machine to start looking at US built machines again.

Me personally the money is less of a factor than the wait. In 8 months I could have found any number of old iron 12" jointers for less money, or simply bought the competition that I could have within a week. That said I hate to wait and as my wife will point out I tend to fix things with the "check wrench" or I suppose in today's world it is more like the "card CNC".

Do what works for you, while it may seem like a silly or lazy answer everyone's situation is different.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

That said I hate to wait and as my wife will point out I tend to fix things with the "check wrench" or I suppose in today's world it is more like the "card CNC".

Excellent post in general, I may have to plagiarize your "check wrench" and "card CNC" descriptions in the future

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Excellent post in general, I may have to plagiarize your "check wrench" and "card CNC" descriptions in the future

Regards, Rod.
    I can't take credit for it, it comes from my mother-in-law and she uses to describe my father-in-law's actions. Despite being pretty good with his hands (he is an orthopaedic surgeon) he will hire someone to hang a picture...

I had another thought about this situation. If someone lived in a state that Grizzly collected sales tax for would they be upset at Grizzly if their state raised the sales tax and Grizzly collected that extra sales tax? Both are simply government required collections.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks, now back to my question about the 5.328 miles and 2 wheels, Ducati?

I've always loved Ducs, really wanted an SS900 however I was riding a Norton at the time.

Bike for me has mostly been BMW, always wanted a Motto Guzzi as well, just couldn't put up with all the issues my buddies had with theirs. Beautiful machines however..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Judging by what I see on SMC waiting and waiting and waiting for Grizzly tools seems to be a normal thing ..... it would certainly put me off buying one...
    I wouldn't mind waiting Barry, I waited 3 months for my Hammer B3.

That said the Hammer was delivered on the scheduled date and not rescheduled...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Thanks, now back to my question about the 5.328 miles and 2 wheels, Ducati?

I've always loved Ducs, really wanted an SS900 however I was riding a Norton at the time.

Bike for me has mostly been BMW, always wanted a Motto Guzzi as well, just couldn't put up with all the issues my buddies had with theirs. Beautiful machines however..........Regards, Rod.

Sorry Rod, I saw and meant to respond to that when you posted it but was out of town for business and just plain forgot. Yes, the sig refers to Ducati, Ferrari and Centauro (with apologies to Northfield and Tannewitz who still makes big high quality saws but it didn't fit the narrative). It is really born from Moto GP and F1 more than the street vehicles.

Funny enough that signature is indirectly linked to you. Just prior to that I had memorialized a quote from you where you (sarcastically) said all Euro machines were Cxxx. The word is a rather mundane slang term for human excrement but was deemed too profane at least for a signature that popped up constantly, so I had to change the signature, the Italian connection idea popped in my head and I used it with the expectation to change it to something else fairly quickly, however, the sense of mystery has been a source of amusement for me so I have left it. I should note based on the last couple of years in Moto GP and F1 I should be saying the 2nd or 3rd best things... In any case, the distances to the Mercedes, Honda and Tannewitz factories would not have the same correlation and moving to make it work would likely place me in the middle of an ocean.

Cheers

Thanks, good to know I inspired someone

As I had time to reflect on this, it's not the tax that made me so mad. It was the waiting and lack of correspondence on their part about policy change. It was the constant change of dates on my order. It was the scripted responses I received, every time I asked for specifics. Why post policy updates on a forum and not send an email, phone call, or smoke signal so I could be updated. Instead I was told only when my item was ready to ship. The tax is what broke the camels back. The jointer looks great and probably performs well. The service they offer, leaves me with wanting more. Which then makes me hesitant to spend my money with them. I can only imagine if something goes wrong on the order I would end up waiting another 8 months. I waited this long, might as well find another company that does not give me those concerns. Even if it cost more, least I have peace of mind.