Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Industrial G0656 jointer

Grizzly Industrial G0656 jointer

I have been patiently waiting 8 months now for the G0656 jointer to be delivered from Grizzly. Right before they ship, I get an email that it will cost an extra $179 as a result of tariffs. Now, I understand that no one likes the tariffs. However, I have given them more than enough time to fulfill my order. I was told repeatedly (Feb, March, June) that my order would be shipped next. Never was I informed about how my item would be affected. Now the question I pose to everyone here is, do I pay or go with someone else? Yeah I would pay more for the same size jointer, but I feel Grizzly has betrayed my trust.

Is it still the demonstarbly best value?

Not really anyone's fault but I'd rethink the wedgebed jointer choice since you have the chance. Not the best design for a new machine. Dave

If it makes you that mad then pay more money and go somewhere else. I have companies that I won't do business with because I got rubbed the wrong way. Usually it takes a couple of offences though.

Grizzly didn't increase the tariffs and they may not have $179 in profits on that machine to absorb the loss created by the tariffs. To an individual it may seem that the company could generously absorb the loss for customer satisfaction but the reality is that companies like Grizzly make profits on quantity of sales not a huge markup on each individual sale.

Do some comparative shopping. Then decide whether you want to keep your order or cancel it and go with another company's product.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you guys for your reply and I appreciate your opinions. I would just have to disagree a little. I have been waiting 8 months and not 8 weeks or 8 days, it would seem that they should honor their commitments. Just like I would have to honor mine 8 months down the line that I still have the money to make the purchase. Grizzly must have been making money since they could not keep up with the orders they were receiving. I made the order on December 7, 2017, think about all the people in the same boat that bought something for their loved ones to now have to say sorry had to cancel because Grizzly could not keep up with demand. Their new customers already know they have to pay the tariffs. Grizzly is only a name anyways, since they make only a few of their own products. Everything else comes from China. So on that note, anyone buy a jointer from a company in china that didn't have an American company name on it? Alibaba has some good looking ones probably made from the same factory Grizzly gets theirs.

Does Alibaba have customer service?

Let us know.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'd consider getting one through Alibaba or direct. I'm actually looking into getting a tractor and implements that way.

Here is a thread on someone here buying a sliding table saw direct. Looks like you just need to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before pulling the trigger.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ort+from+china

Also, Grizzly’s manufacturer is/was changing plants or something which is the reason for all the delays. They’re not making money hand over fist like you allude to.

That being said, I thought Shiraz said that the tariffs wouldn’t be applied if you had the order placed before the tariffs went into place.

But speaking of rubbing someone the wrong way, it always rubs me the wrong way when someone comes here and rants for their fist post.

Sorry I should have started with a joke. I do appreciate everyone's opinions as it will help shape my final decision. At the very least I learned to beware of a company that oversells.

Blog Entries
    Shiraz posted explaining that the tariffs would be passed directly along on machines that were effected including back ordered items. This should not be a surprise. I believe that like tax, the tariff is collected, not charged.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-10-2018 at 4:14 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I get your frustration, I cancelled an order with Grizzly last year bc I was tired of waiting. But the tariffs are outside Grizzly's control. Not much it can do about that.

In my mind, the real question is where can you get the best value for your budget. If it is still with Grizzly, I would stick with them IF it can get you a jointer sometime soon.

But if it was even close, I would move on just to have the tool in your shop making furniture. For me, hobbies are about having fun, not waiting for a year for a company to get it's manufacturing issues straightened out.

I've been waiting on a G0490X jointer since January 14th. Delivery date has slipped 4 separate times and I also got the recent notice that the price will go up $300.

I generally feel like it would be the "right" thing to do for a business to honor the price agreed upon when the order was placed, but at the same time I guess Grizzly is just so backordered on so many things that it wouldn't be possible for them to eat the cost of the tariffs on all those items.

I feel a bit betrayed too, but I'm continuing to wait for mine as it's still the best financial option for now. I can only wait so long before I just give in and buy a more expensive model so I can actually have a jointer. Maybe a bunch of people will cancel and my delivery will happen sooner than expected? I wonder how many sales these manufacturing/delivery issues have actually cost Grizzly...

I don't think you will be able to find a comparable deal anywhere right now. A very large portion of the WW tools we buy are now made in China, so the tariffs will affect them all. I was one of the lucky ones I guess. I ordered a Rikon lathe at the end of Nov. 2017 that took 4 months to arrive, so I missed the tariff.
    I sure hope it all works out for you.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

James there’s a nice Northfield jointer on Craiglist Out here in So Cal 2,500. No need to wait if you need help loading it up let me know.
    Somebodys going to get a sweet deal.
    Aj