Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New compressor - too many options

New compressor - too many options

I did have a thread a while ago, but I know new models come out, and at this point, I'm definitely making a purchase. So, it's just me here, and another guy 2 days a week. In the future, I'd like a bigger shop and probably one more employee. Really, all I use the compressor for is blowing dust and spraying with an HVLP. I have access to 230v single phase.

I want to see what you all recommend at the current time, and if you know of any good deals which should be looked at. I'm not going to buy used as this purchase is being funded by means other than cash.

Please discuss!
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

If I was looking I would look at the Kolbalt fromLowes or the Husky from Home depot. I have a big 80 gallon one I bought years ago

I just went from a husky that was great to a Quincy that was even better. Northern tool carries Quincy. Mine is small at only 20 gals but they have larger ones. Made in USA too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I just went from a husky that was great to a Quincy that was even better. Northern tool carries Quincy. Mine is small at only 20 gals but they have larger ones. Made in USA too.
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2355_200612355

Like this?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Blog Entries
    I would recommend Quincy as well, I have a 60 gal and had an issue with a leak in the on/off pressure switch, a couple of emails with a picture or two and a new part was in hand in 2 days with an offer to schedule a service rep if needed to swap the part. So the service is there to back the product. If I had to do it again I might go for the 80 gal but that is just to drive air sanders, the 60 gal runs a 6"DA fine and cycles on and off while doing so... more on than off. I used it to paint my truck and run every other air tool imaginable with zero issues.
    This is the model I have, I bought it from a local farm store, not Northern tool but it was the same price. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0475_200350475
    Last edited by Andrew Gibson; 08-10-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add info
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Qunicy or IR. I have the latter in 60 gallon, 3hp and have been very pleased with it. 'Caught a sale years ago. These things are much better built than the "mass market" private label compressors at the 'borg and other places, especially when it comes to how they are piped and regulated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Qunicy or IR. I have the latter in 60 gallon, 3hp and have been very pleased with it. 'Caught a sale years ago. These things are much better built than the "mass market" private label compressors at the 'borg and other places, especially when it comes to how they are piped and regulated.
    Is yours a single stage Jim?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Yeppers. I only have the 20 gal horizontal model but it is a really nice, super quiet compressor. Still have my husky 30 gal vertical twin cylinder model at another location and it’s nice too but the Quincy is a nicer unit in my opinion.

as pointed out above other places sell them too like Rural King for example.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-10-2018 at 2:03 PM.

I have a 5hp, 60 gallon, Rolair. It's great. I really like it.
    Small shop setup I'd be looking at a 5 HP, 60-80 gallon compressor. Quincy, Rolair, IR, or similar build quality. I don't mean to be a snob, but leave the stuff at Home Depot and Lowes there.
    ACME Tools is a very good source for smaller, air compressors.
    I know that Tractor Supply sells IR's, but I've re-tubed a few of them for friends. The fittings were pretty junky. I replaced them with Swagelok fittings and annealed copper tubing.

If you're going to spray, or blow down your equipment, you want nice, clean, dry air. The receiver tank on a compressor is the first stage of mechanical moisture separation. Piping layout, coalescing filters, dessicant cartidges, drying towers, and evap condensors, are nice, but that tank takes a significant burden off the rest of the system components.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-10-2018 at 5:26 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

A question like this usually gets recommendations about the model of air compressor (or other tool) the reader has, as long as it has worked ok. I'll do the same - when I built my shop I bought a 5hp two-stage upright 60 gallon Ingersol Rand compressor. I put it in a closet for sound reduction and wired and plumbed so the switches, valves, driers, and regulator are outside the closet in the main shop. I plumbed the shop to put multiple air outlets where I needed them. I'm quite satisfied with the compressor and the installation.

If you get an oversized and overpowered compressor it will not have to cycle as much and can pump up faster. The capacity might not be used often but it's nice to have it, for example, when I use a pneumatic ROS. It would be more expensive to buy small then have to buy again if your business expanded.

JKJ

I did have a thread a while ago, but I know new models come out, and at this point, I'm definitely making a purchase. So, it's just me here, and another guy 2 days a week. In the future, I'd like a bigger shop and probably one more employee. Really, all I use the compressor for is blowing dust and spraying with an HVLP. I have access to 230v single phase.

I want to see what you all recommend at the current time, and if you know of any good deals which should be looked at. I'm not going to buy used as this purchase is being funded by means other than cash.

Please discuss!

Just remember, buying a bigger compressor is just the start. You will need plumbing and drying for the air the compressor produces. Lots of options for this, but it will add to the cost of compressed air.

Is yours a single stage Jim?
    Yes, single stage, IR 60 gallon, 3hp. It's worked flawlessly since installation. I use it for spraying finishes, pneumatic tools and for the Z-axis counterbalance cylinder on my CNC machine. The two stage units are better, but for my needs, this has performed fine. And it's very high quality. I also have an IR auto-drain on it so I never have to drain it manually.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3-5HP is about the break point for two stage. Above that and two stage will save money since it is more efficient.
    Do not use PVC for air piping, when it fails, and it will fail, it will shatter and send shrapnel all over. Yes it is light weight shrapnel so it will probably not kill you but it will take out an eye or cut off your nose and ears. If you are running a saw it will make you jump so you lose a hand or what not bits and pieces that you will miss.
    Bil lD

Good point about the piping.

My small garage space has been changed around so many times that I simply used a spare air hose to jump from my compressor location to a water separator and regulator and then on to a retractable reel. I only have a 20 gallon setup and done use much air other than blowing at the lathe, or nail guns and bike tires. The 50’ run of hose to the water filter / separator helps give time for water to separate out. And every few years it’s cheap to change the layout as my shop grows. Just a thought if you are not 100% set on layout like many of us garage dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Just remember, buying a bigger compressor is just the start. You will need plumbing and drying for the air the compressor produces. Lots of options for this, but it will add to the cost of compressed air.
    Seems you might add plumbing and drying for any compressor in the typical shop. At least I did when I used a 20gal diaphragm compressor in a previous shop.