Thread: Help identifying this wood

Help identifying this wood

the person that sent me this tells me that this is 'white walnut', but that its NOT butternut. I've never heard of any other white walnut other than butternut. Not quite sure what this may be. All I have is the pic at this time. Any ideas ? I understand the pic is poor quality, but again, its all i have to go on. Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like blurry european walnut to me. But I’m certainly not expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gage View Post
    the person that sent me this tells me that this is 'white walnut', but that its NOT butternut. I've never heard of any other white walnut other than butternut. Not quite sure what this may be. All I have is the pic at this time. Any ideas ? I understand the pic is poor quality, but again, its all i have to go on. Thank you

Are you just curious or do you really want to know? To eliminate wild guesses look at the endgrain with a magnifier and compare to known species.
    Section 7 here: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...ication-guide/

Blog Entries
    Perhaps they meant English Walnut, the kind that grows these type of nuts.download.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute