Thread: Felder RL-125 dust collector questions (and value)

Felder RL-125 dust collector questions (and value)

I've been eyeing an RL-125 dust collector for the superior filtration, quieter operation, and greater suction than the 2HP unit I have, now.

I think the RL-125 is appropriately sized for my needs, as I work from a garage where I move machines around a lot and use a single, large flex-hose to connect one machine at a time to the DC. Seems like the RL-125 is the "right size" for me, but the RL-140 is only ~$700 more. Anyone have comments on whether or not the RL-125 has proven sufficient, or if you wish you'd gone larger?

Second, how critical is the auto-clean feature and/or the anti-static filter?

Finally, there is a used RL-125 near me that comes with a "pile" of ductwork. I think the ductwork is mostly useless (spiral metal cut to various lengths), but the seller is asking $3800 for the unit and the ductwork. Is there anything to look out for in terms of age, wear, etc? Do the filters have a finite lifespan?

(The new unit is only $4100, so I'm thinking the used one is way overpriced, especially since I'm leaning towards wanting the RL-140 with autoclean, but would appreciate comments on this...)

Is autoclean an option for the RL-140?
    I'm also a prospective customer.

Last time I looked, autoclean was only available on the RL-160 and larger.
    It does cost quite a bit extra, but owners from this series universally despised cleaning the filters, and the autoclean seemed to be highly-desired option.

I've seen the most notes on the RL-160, an a smattering on the RL-125, and very few on the RL-140.
    You will find some reviews here at sawmillcreek.
    You can also join the felder mailing list and peruse their archives.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 08-08-2018 at 7:47 PM.

Matt, according to the Felder website, autoclean is listed as an option on all the RL- models. Not sure how true that is. Any idea what the cost delta is? I've read many of the other posts/reviews, and yes, it seems like it's necessary.

Any idea how it works? Wonder if it could be retrofitted...

I also operate in my garage as well. but my dust extractor is a stationary unit and I have invested in proper ducting, if that pile of ducting near is speed lock or can be broken down into smaller sections, then they are probably worth every penny? I did a small alteration to my shop recently and the cost of the ducting is a tearful $1700 consider the amount of change made.

I have considered RL and German equivalent (Nestro, Spanex, Alko...etc). at the end I decided to keep my existing baghouse extractor (it does the job) and perhaps spend the money on something else. maybe a briquette press, time saved from cleaning rubbish is time saved in real production.

an RL125 is a very small unit. if you want to invest in an RL unit, why not RL200 at least? cry once and laugh forever.
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 08-08-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Matt, according to the Felder website, autoclean is listed as an option on all the RL- models. Not sure how true that is. Any idea what the cost delta is? I've read many of the other posts/reviews, and yes, it seems like it's necessary.
    My information is based on the catalog (page 385 of their June 2018 version) and what I see as options on their Felder group e-shop
    (I do see some sort of 3-phase automatic filter cleaning option on their main Felder site, but I'm wondering if this does work with these small extrators -- would be interested if it was)

Albert -- not all of us have the size of shops that can accommodate the really big extractors. (fortunately we often don't need the full capacity, either) But everyone needs clean air, so...

Matt

Blog Entries
    I have the RL125 in my hobby shop and find it good for my purposes. I have Nordfab ductwork and a section of 120mm flexible hose. I don’t have auto clean and have not found a need to clean the filters given my level of use.

I also have an RL125 in my hobby shop. The shop is 24x32 and I piped it with quite a bit of 6” Norfab ducting for my fixed machines. I get very good performance that improved further by replacing the 120 mm machine intake on the DC with a 6” custom hood. The manual filter cleaning brush seems to work fine.

can I just add if you are considering Felder RL series, maybe you can consider Alko PU extractor as well... quieter, stronger, beefier

I have a RL125 in my home shop.

A large Onieda unit at work along with a large Coral baghouse.

The RL is far and away superior to the tow other units. Well maybe not the Oneida but that darn Coral is a nightmare. It leaks fine dust so bad you feel like you might as well not even use the dam thing.

The Felder and Oneida are pretty evenly matched. Both have filters that is allowed to overflow area nightmare to clean. Your not supposed to but I always resort to taking them outside and blowing them out with compressed air.

The RL has a gasket that seals the filter to the unit or housing. That gasket fails sooner than later. Getting it reattached and willing to stay reattached is kinda nightmare.

The amount of or lack of fine dust the Rl lets escape makes it worth the price of admission and heachache cleaning the filter and replacing the gasket when needed.

If I could I would go the 160 for the capacity to capture dust. I couldn’t get the 160 into my shop. If I had it to do again I’d actually get the Alko or whatever it is.