Thread: Your method for curved scrapers

Your method for curved scrapers

I was sharpening a curved scraper this morning and that’s a finicky thing at best. I was wondering what method others use for this process? I end up with a tool that works well. I thought you all might have some “speed” secrets to share.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I was sharpening a curved scraper this morning and that’s a finicky thing at best. I was wondering what method others use for this process? I end up with a tool that works well. I thought you all might have some “speed” secrets to share.
    Jim
    I don't know if this would apply to your situation, but I use curved scrapers a lot on wood turnings, sometimes with the wood moving but more often used as a normal scraper.

For this use I grind, sometimes file, lightly hone the side flat, then burnish a burr with a carbide rod. I've tried the "standard" method of turning the burr first up and then down but for the way I use these I prefer to turn it down only. After doing this for years, I found identical instructions in a woodturning book written in 1959.

Some of my curved scrapers. I grind new profiles as needed with a 1" belt sander - far cooler and easier to control than a grinding wheel.
    scrapers_.jpg

If you end up with a tool that works well please share your method!

JKJ

On my curved scraper the goose neck style I clamp a flat file in my tail end vice then rotate the scraper as it sits flat. For the inside curve I use a round file. Then use the burnisher to draw out the hook.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Look for a card scraper burnisher.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...aper+burnisher

5. Rough shape with snips, hacksaw, grinder and sanding drums. Hone with shaped stones, burnish like any scraper.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't know if this would apply to your situation, but I use curved scrapers a lot on wood turnings, sometimes with the wood moving but more often used as a normal scraper.

For this use I grind, sometimes file, lightly hone the side flat, then burnish a burr with a carbide rod. I've tried the "standard" method of turning the burr first up and then down but for the way I use these I prefer to turn it down only. After doing this for years, I found identical instructions in a woodturning book written in 1959.

Some of my curved scrapers. I grind new profiles as needed with a 1" belt sander - far cooler and easier to control than a grinding wheel.
    scrapers_.jpg

If you end up with a tool that works well please share your method!

JKJ
    nothing special John. I use a diamond paddle, coarse, with the scraper up on a block. I will use a file if I’ve broken out a piece on a knot or something. On the inside curves I use a diamond chainsaw file, fast and cheap. I burnish as you do, down only.
    Jim