Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naturally Maroon Wood

Naturally Maroon Wood

Any ideas on the most naturally maroon wood?

Purpleheart comes to mind, but over time it probably will fade to brown. Finding a stable maroon might be a problem.
    https://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    ...fade to brown. Finding a stable maroon might be a problem.
    Natural is nice. Long lasting color might be nicer. Interesting reading: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...-exotic-woods/ The bottom line, use dye.

JKJ

I've seen some old hoarded mahogany that was maroon on the out side and all the way through. The Swetenia mahogany is often brown all through it. Not sure which type I was seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The bottom line, use dye.
    Cannot. For a cutting board.

Maybe eastern red cedar ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Maybe eastern red cedar ?
    Much of the ERC I saw is a brilliant color but looses it quickly. Prob too soft for a cutting board as well.

JKJ

The right cut of Sapele or Bubinga can keep a lot of reddish color, though I'm not sure I'd call it "maroon" necessarily. But definitely towards red on the color spectrum, not brown. Some Sapele is a bit more brown, but I've used pieces that stayed quite red.
    ###
    I have no idea what I did wrong, but as long as I don't do what I did, I'll be good to go.

I’ve got some very deep colored bubinga that takes on a brownish maroon color when mineral oil applied. Hard to see it in pictures but in good light it has a red undertone still. For comparison that is bubinga, cherry and walnut mixed.

p3008964984-4.jpg

p3008964864-3.jpg

p3008964865-3.jpg

You can can get a sense of how red it started here. Third from right next to the walnut.
    p3008976301-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-08-2018 at 2:03 PM.

Go with the purple heart & tell them to enjoy it while they can. I just saw a 5 y/o cutting board that still looked kinda purpley. I bet a sanding would freshen it up. By the time it goes brown, they'll be over it.

How about bloodwood? I've worked only a few pieces but with boiled linseed oil it was a deep maroon. Makore also comes to mind, but is a little too orange. Now...I have some small chunks of pre-1970 rosewood that finish to a very deep maroon, but i'd sure hate to scar them up with a knife--far too beautiful for that purpose in my mind.
    earl

Redwood?
    Bill D.

Some examples of reclaimed meranti I have, the likes of bed headboards have a maroon colour to them.
    This is a stain but it takes it well, they must have had a very common stain back in the day because I've seen a good few different items the same.
    Unfortunately, I'm unsure if it takes about 40 years to achieve?
    My guess is... it is this colour from the get-go, but I have absolutely no knowledge about finishing whatsoever.

I don't know if I have planed the finish off these boards, If I have any stuff I will post a piccy in a few hours.
    Tom

Tom

Sorry missed that its for a cutting board
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 08-08-2018 at 6:09 PM.

Redwood is very soft. It would not work for a cutting board.

Brown red oak. I've only seen it once, so good luck finding it, but it is maroon and stable. I used it for my first son's college diploma.