Thread: Flattening a metal plane sole

Flattening a metal plane sole

afternoon everyone,
    I found a nice old bedrock 604, the sole checks out flat but there is some pitting.
    is there anywhere to send it to have it surface ground?

Regards
    Eric

I bought a old Stanley jack plane 20 years ago & had a machinist flatten the sole. Initial estimate was $20 or $30. He said he put in an hour of shop time & gave me a break by charging $40. Leave the pitting.

If it's flat, don't worry about the pitting. Just use it as is.

But if the aesthetics of the pitting really bothers you, go ahead and have the sole ground by a machinist.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you can figure out and make a way to hold it upside down and parallel to the table top a machinist can grind it flat fairly cheaply. The real cost for such a small job is making jigs and fixtures to hold it. It will have to be clamped down from the top and the clamps moved around so the entire surface can be ground.
    Bill D.

Clean the pits out completely, and then seal them up. Wax the sole with a candle...and get to work. And to think, some pay extra for a plane with a grooved sole....pits...what pits?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric John View Post
    afternoon everyone,
    I found a nice old bedrock 604, the sole checks out flat but there is some pitting.
    is there anywhere to send it to have it surface ground?
    The pits don't matter. If the plane worked before, it'll work now. I'd suggest you don't have the sole ground, because it may upset the equilibrium in the metal (re flatness, warping etc.) Machine shops have a tendency to want to grind the crap out of stuff way beyond whatever business they have doing, and in this case it's unnecessary, so don't take that chance.

Make sure there are no "surface protrusions" (with a scraper or razor blade perhaps) and wax the sole, and you're good.

7. If you have access to a known flat surface like the bed of a jointer you could take some 120 grit sandpaper, stick it on it with some water and give it a light cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    If you have access to a known flat surface like the bed of a jointer you could take some 120 grit sandpaper, stick it on it with some water and give it a light cleaning.
    I don't know about putting water on your jointer bed, it's hard enough to keep them from rusting even from atmospheric humidity. A sheet of plate glass on a stable surface would be a better idea, if you wanted to do this. A surface plate would be an even better idea (but most people don't have one, and it's overkill anyway.)

Blog Entries
    Ignore the pitting.

If there are problems with taking a controlled shaving and other causes have been eliminated, then and only then should one think about lapping the sole or having a machinist do it with a surface grinder.

Some of my best smoothers look like a dog chewed on them and spit them out. They can take sub thou shavings with a sharp blade. They can take thick shavings when needed. There isn't much more to be asked of them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

sole.JPG
    Sometimes, they even clean up nicely..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Even ones made in England.
    Been using this one to raise panels, ala Paul Sellers..
    two planes.jpg
    Both are Stanley #4s
    dry fit.jpg
    Seems to work...

If you go to an old school auto parts store, they should have a machine shop with a surface grinder that they use to re-flatten engine heads. They would be able to fix your plane, however, it sounds like the collective here is to wax it and use it.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    it sounds like the collective here is to wax it and use it.
    Why try and fix it if it ain't broke?

The only way to know if it is broke is to give it a few pieces of wood to eat.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

if you're willing to put in the work, you can use sandpaper and a flat surface (granite or glass).

I did this with a recent restoration, but it was many many hours. To actually get anywhere, you need to start with 60 grit, 120 won't cut it ( pun intended).
    Also, get the metal sandpaper (aluminum oxide or silicon carbide). I got mine from NAPA. Use water or windex to wash away the filings. wear gloves as it gets messy. Wear a mask as the fine metal particles are not good for your lungs. Speaking from experience.

good luck.

Blog Entries
    Use water or windex to wash away the filings.
    A strong magnet wrapped in paper also works well. The paper makes it easier to get rid of the swarf.

Here is where my planes get lapped if needed:

Granite on Horse.jpg

That image is from over eight years ago when it was first set up in my shop. It is amazing to see how much has accumulated around it in those years.

jtk