Thread: Battery replacement for Air hood

Battery replacement for Air hood

Does anyone remember a post and discussion a few months ago concerning battery replacement on powered respirators? I thought I remembered someone explaining how they replaced the older, large batteries with smaller batteries (maybe on the helmet) that made the entire unit much lighter.
    I tried a search but could not find the post in question.
    Jim

Jim: Are you talking about 3M respirators? If so, look at this YouTube video. The batteries that Alan uses are no longer available, but there are a lot of them out there now. I can recommend some if this is what you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0m9n9Iog7w
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Grant...that was the post that I was looking for. Unfortunately, I have the 3M Breathe Easy that has the 3 filter motor on the belt at the waist with the battery there also. Even if I could lighten the load of the battery, I would still have the hose and belt with motor to deal with. Thanks for the help,

Jim

Jim: I have the Breathe Easy, too. I have one blower unit that has one filter and one that has 3. I tend to use the one filter unit. You're right, of course, we are stuck with the hose and the belt mounted blower. But, the newer, smaller and lighter batteries let me get rid of the boat anchor 3M battery at least. I just Velcro the lith ion battery onto the blower unit.

Another option to pursue, if you can accept the loss of mobility when you are wearing the helmet, is to go with a wall mounted hepa air filter unit. No batteries, nothing on your belt but a clip to hold the hose and lots of clean air. I made one of these up for times when I'm going to be standing at the lathe and don't need to be moving around a lot. This was another of Alan's ideas. It works a treat. If this holds any interest for you, I'll see if I can find the documents that Alan sent me showing how to cobble one up.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks for the offer Grant. I've decided , at this point, to sell the older unit and purchase a newer lightweight unit that fits my needs.

Jim