Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
John, next time you photograph in your shop, could you photograph your spindle gouge grinds and start a new thread? I know what a many versions of a bowl gouge grind looks like, but have seen few spindle gouge grinds, and no detail gouge grinds. My skill with each of these probably reflects this.
I looked through my photo files to be sure and I can't find a single good photo of spindle gouge grinds.

I can shoot some. But you might have to remind me - I'm way overbooked until after the first of Sept! I can always take quick pictures with my phone but to see grinds properly would need closeup photos with the "good" camera. In the mean time perhaps someone else will have some photos on hand.

Also, the Tormek manual has some instruction about sharpening. Their gouge jig is very similar in operation to the Varigrind although the settings are not. Like elsewhere, bowl gouges get most of the attention but is a bit on page 78 in here: https://www.tormek.com/media/448711/...01-svd-185.pdf
I think the top drawing in the spindle gouge section of the table looks pretty close to what I use. If your spindle gouge looks remotely close to this it is probably fine - you can do the same cuts with a significant variation in the grind once you get used to it. Must be scary sharp, though!

I actually like the Tormek jig better for spindle gouges but the Varigrind works fine and I did use it for a few years. These days I sharpen the spindle gouges on the Tormek with a 1200 grit CBN but reshape if necessary (rarely) on a coarser CBN wheel on a bench grinder with a extra Tormek jig support bar. I may have mentioned this, but if not, I keep six of my most used spindle gouges (3/8" Thompson) with identical grinds. When one gets dull I put it in the dull pile and put a sharp on in the handle. When they are all dull I stop and resharpen them all. This lets me keep turning without interruption and saves a lot of sharpening time since most of the time is setting the jig for the exact grind.

tormek_B.jpg

JKJ