Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chair For The Grandpeanut

New Chair For The Grandpeanut

The boy child and his wife just had a new grandpeanut, a girl type named Abby Ray. She's a cute little sucker but I guess all grandparents say the same. Anyway the first grandpeanut isn't much of a peanut anymore. They grow fast.

With two of 'em they need another chair for the table and chair set I made a couple of years ago. I started on it this morning. This one will be a small Welsh stick chair. What I expect will happen is the old chair and table will be passed down to Abby Ray and sometime in the next year or so I will make a new table and a couple more chairs for Levi that are a little larger than the current ones.

Here are a couple of photos drilling the mortises for the legs.

Down the sight line:

sightLineDrill.jpg

The resultant:

resultantDrill.jpg

Click 'em to big 'em.

I'm starting to like building vernacular furniture and even better I like looking at and using the builds. As a hand tool wood worker stick chairs, staked tables, and boarded chests just fit my house and my eye.

ken

No pictures of the grandpeanuts? And what does a grandpeanut grow up to be? A grandbrazilnut for a while, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    No pictures of the grandpeanuts? And what does a grandpeanut grow up to be? A grandbrazilnut for a while, I suppose.
    Bill,

There is nothing more boring than looking at someone else's grandkids, Looking at the furniture made for the grandkids is another story, at least for me.

ken

Hey Ken,

You are a good grandpa! Making furniture for grandkids! Wish I could, but hope to when I am able....has something to do with having a shop and becoming a better woodworker.

Anyway, good for you, and we will enjoy watching the build!

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hey Ken,

You are a good grandpa! Making furniture for grandkids! Wish I could, but hope to when I am able....has something to do with having a shop and becoming a better woodworker.

Anyway, good for you, and we will enjoy watching the build!

Stew
    Stew,

Thanks, having a shop helps. Cooler days would as well, the desert is boiling this Summer.

I'm shaping the leg blanks for Levi's chair before taking them to the lathe to turn the tapered tenons. I've found the best tool for shaping the legs is a ECE Jack plane with a light camber. It is light, easy to hold, and can be set to take good chunks of wood each pass without turning your arms to noodles. Almost as important is it sings to you as you work, metal planes do not sound the same.

leviChairShapeningLegs.jpg

I'm not sure how the chair will look when finished. The seat is near full size but the legs will put seat height at about 250mm vs. 460mm for an adult chair. Whatever, it should be bulletproof.

ken

Four leg blanks finished and ready to shape the tenons on the lathe.

Even with the short legs and the woodie, it is a sweatathon this time of year. There were a lot of water breaks getting to this point.

chairLegs.jpg

I can't say I'm in the short rows but just four small back spindles and a crest rail to go before fitting it altogether.

ken

The legs, leg tenons, and seat mortises are done and fitted, kinda of. The left rear leg is a little off, I should be able to go in with the reamer and fix it enough so it isn't too noticeable.

I need to shape the seat, make four spindles and a crest rail to finish. Here are a few photos of the progress so far:

Setting up to ream the seat.

settingUpToReam.jpg

Checking progress.

checkingProgress.jpg

Seat and legs.

legsAndSeat.jpg

As always click 'em to big 'em,

ken

Because the seat is a glue up I'm keying the two halves, belts and suspenders dontchknow.

The keys are instant glued to hold 'em for marking out. I expect after knocking them loose I'll drill most of the waste and then pare to fit.

keySeatBottom.jpg

Next up after finishing the keys is cleaning up the seat and whacking the legs home. Once the legs are fitted the back slats and comb will finish the chair,

Work is trying to force my retirement or at least it seems that way with too many work days in a row coming up. All that is to say even though I'm near the short rows it may take a couple of weeks to finish the chair.

ken

One key in place, working on second:

oneKeyOneToGo.jpg

Once the second key is glued in I'll clean up the seat and fit, wedge, and glue the legs in place. If I can find a few free moments this week the chair will be finished. Only problem, finding those few free moments matching up with a shop cool enough to work in.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,

There is nothing more boring than looking at someone else's grandkids, Looking at the furniture made for the grandkids is another story, at least for me.

ken
    Not all of us agree. Those of us who don't yet have grandkids and may not ever have them get a lot of secondhand pleasure admiring other folks' grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Not all of us agree. Those of us who don't yet have grandkids and may not ever have them get a lot of secondhand pleasure admiring other folks' grandkids.
    Bill,

When finished I'll post a photo of Levi and the chair just for you . BTW like most grandkids he is the smartest and cutest of the lot.

The legs seated with no hiccups (no spits) other than a couple of failed wedges to deal with and are in glue up. I'll trim the legs to length and start on the the back sticks and rail after work if the shops cools enough to work in.

ken

Levi's chair base is finished. I'll start the four sticks and top rail this afternoon after work, maybe, if it isn't too hot to work in the shop.

It may be a little high for Levi, if it is it is easy to cut down. I will include instructions on "how". If things do not get too crazy with work, critters, getting the motorhome ready for the Oregon trip and keeping Casa Chaos from falling down I could have the chair finished in a few days. Will not happen but I could.

Chair base, leveling the legs:

chairSeat.jpg

ken

Levi's chair is finished or at least it has the first coat of finish on it.

leviChairFirstCoatFinish.jpg

When we left Tucson for a month in the PNW the chair was ready for the back spindles and top rail to be glued in place. I did that last step yesterday and put the first coat of Danish Oil on this AM. I thought a couple of seconds about a dual color (black base/red top coat) milk paint finish but only for a second or two. Now if the wood store will come through with my 12/4 Ash I can start the shop's Moravian workbench base. The Beach slab is finished and standing in a corner.

Traveling is enjoyable but it sure is good to be back in the shop.

ken

Blog Entries
    Neat! Very cool work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Great work. Looks like a chair to be enjoyed through quite a few generations.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)