Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: curious What is the oldest power tool that you still use

I’m not sure exactly as I do have some pretty old power tools.

But it I am sure about my 1947 right hand! So I will submit that as the oldest power tool I use regularly!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have a 1947 Unisaw and 1947 Delta scroll saw, both from someone retiring to assisted living who bought them new, that started my interest. I've added a 1924 Yates 6" direct drive jointer (smooooth), Ekstrom-Carlson edge sander, and Walker-Turner 14" and Moak 26" bandsaws (1950s I think). I had a 1925 12" Solem planer (400+ lbs) but sold it when I upgraded to a 16" minimax.

Terry T

Olderst to newest but all prior to 1940. The 1950s were about the best vintage but the period prior to WW2 had some nice machines. Those made during the war years can be good or bad depending on how quickly made and what materials were in short supply.DSCN3622.jpglate 1920s or early 30s, Greenlee 356 vertical borer. About 9" of travel.DSCN3623.jpg Fay and Egan mortiser. Fairly compact but heavy as all F and E machines were. Again, late 20s early 30s.

DSCN3624.jpg 1932 Whitney 77 sliderDSCN3625.jpg 1936 Oliver 217 with cast aluminum door. Aluminum for machines was stopped by early 40s to conserve for the war.DSCN3626.jpg1938 Yates Y20. Dave

Blog Entries
    My oldest power tool is my Homecraft bench top drill press. It has a serial number of O-724. I also have a Homecraft shaper and a Homecraft 6" jointer that are probably about the same age. From what I can determine the drill press is from 1947.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Olderst to newest but all prior to 1940. The 1950s were about the best vintage but the period prior to WW2 had some nice machines. Those made during the war years can be good or bad depending on how quickly made and what materials were in short supply.DSCN3622.jpglate 1920s or early 30s, Greenlee 356 vertical borer. About 9" of travel.DSCN3623.jpg Fay and Egan mortiser. Fairly compact but heavy as all F and E machines were. Again, late 20s early 30s.

DSCN3624.jpg 1932 Whitney 77 sliderDSCN3625.jpg 1936 Oliver 217 with cast aluminum door. Aluminum for machines was stopped by early 40s to conserve for the war.DSCN3626.jpg1938 Yates Y20. Dave
    Best looking Oliver BS, well except for my old #16

True bragging rights would be old, in use, and in use by old user when user was younger and got older.

I have one machine I have been using for 32 years, and in two years I will have used it for one quarter of it's life span. I have used it for about 68% of my life.

Speaking of digits, the machine I had that removed the most digits (3) was a Delta tablesaw. After my father decided to full OSHA violation on it, I gave it away to a school. He was done with it anyway.

I don't have it anymore - I donated it to a museum - but how about an Ames of Chicopee lathe from the mid-1830s? It was given to me by the grandson of the previous owner upon his passing. He used it for wood turning though it was actually a metal lathe. Heavy old girl with everything hand fitted (no two screws or bolts were interchangable!). It had helical gears in the headstock - can't imagine how long it took someone to fashion those by hand!

i am with Dave 50s is the zenith . i have older but this one gets used ,early 40s

Oliver 190D

jack
    English machines

1950-ish Sears Craftsman 6x48 belt sander that my mom bought new in (I think) 1952.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have a couple of "R2D2" Stanley routers from the 50's. Not in use - need to be rewired.

Regards from Perth – Derek
    Same ... I rewired and they are my go-to routers for light bearing-guided edging. Handles are a bit too low for template work.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I have an older square chisel mortiser ... WWII vintage that I use regularly.

My friend Larry has that beat by several decades. He uses (daily) a Marcus B. Tidey sliding panel saw of 19th century vintage. I did a short review of this saw on OWWM. The saw came from the Remington Arms Munitions factory (Bridgeport, CT) which shut its doors in 1986. Those with a knowledge of the history of guns may remember that Remington Company was sold in 1888 by the Remington family to the company that owned Union Metallic Cartridge (as well as Winchester) and the production moved to the Bridgeport, CT facility and the firm renamed Remington Arms Company. Larry doesn't know when this saw was acquired by Remington. Marcus Tidey died in 1901 and the First World War took a toll on the firm's already shaky production. So it would not be unreasonable to think delivery was taken during that last decade of the nineteenth century.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

The planer marks are still visible over the entire saw table and even on the throat plate. That saw is good for several more lifetimes. Both machines are impressive. Dave

My 1930's Craftsman lathe is the oldest, but the 1948 Red Star RAS is a favorite. I also like the 1952 Delta bandsaw and 1950's Atlas shaper. All have new bearings, work beautifully, and are older than I am. So far, I have not needed any new bearings.

But most of my hand tools are substantially older still.

I've got an old 1940's Walker Turner 16" bandsaw that still gets used. Runs like a champ.

Sears brand tilting table saw and Index Super 55 mill from the '50's, i think.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."