Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: curious What is the oldest power tool that you still use

Wow, you all are overdue to upgrade! haha jk, thats incredible with some of the pre-WWI stuff.

My oldest is almost twice as old as me. 1960 or 61 Delta Rockwell drill press.

1952 (+-) Craftsman-KingSeely floor model drill press. Only change I have made was to add a segmented belt.
    Old dude is as solid as the day it was new. C'man motor.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

20151017_124544.jpg

Only picture I could find.

Hand held stuff, I have some old Stanley Carter routers from the 30s and a few PC belt Sanders from the 40s.

I have a couple of "R2D2" Stanley routers from the 50's. Not in use - need to be rewired.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    20151017_124544.jpg

Only picture I could find.

Hand held stuff, I have some old Stanley Carter routers from the 30s and a few PC belt Sanders from the 40s.
    You have to marvel at just how elegant that machine is. Like someone really cared when they designed it. Thanks for sharing,
    Edwin

1949 Oliver 16” jointer
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Two 1956 vintage. A Dewalt "MBF" RAS, and a Shopsmith "Greenie" MK5.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

I have a 1949 Delta 17'' drill press and a 1953 Unisaw that I use all the time. Mike O'Keefe

Black and Decker 7 1/4” polished aluminium bodied circular saw from the mid 50’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    You have to marvel at just how elegant that machine is. Like someone really cared when they designed it. Thanks for sharing,
    Edwin
    Not a more elegant time period for woodworking machinery than the Victorian era. They liked to show off the pattern makers and foundry guys.

I have about 5 machines made by that company all circa 1870 to 1890. All gorgeous.

1948 14 inch RAS is by far the oldest. Most everything else in there is 1970 or newer with most power tools less than 20 years old. I did have to get the motor redone on the RAS as the motor got to where it didn't want to start up cleanly but the guy rebuilt the entire inside of the motor for a very reasonable price and it's worked perfectly since (>5 years). The thing is a joy to use and stays absolutely dead nuts accurate and cuts 24 inches across. Makes for very quick work cutting accurately and grooving base sides using the dado set.

Late 1940's Black and Decker heavy Duty 3/8" electric drill. It's the same 1/2" drill they made for decades with the D handle, permanent side handle and removable top pipe handle.

I also have a Walker Turner drill press and a mid sixties Powermatic Model 81............Rod.

My Millbury tenoner was made in the '30s, I think. If post drill count, I have a Buffalo Forge and Blower that's probably over 100 years old.

1970's powermatic model 50, 1963 model 141 bandsaw torit dust collector from the later 60's, dewalt 1957 radial arm saw, 1950's unisaw and my latest purchase woodmaster 3875 drum sander, not sure of year but its an older blue one

The oldest tool in my shop right now is a ½ hp Grinder Sears Craftsman 397-19340 from the 1970's.

However my son in law has my original complement of tools that date from before WWII : 18" Jig Saw Sears Craftsman 103-0407; 4" Jointer Walker-Turner Driver Line no model # visible; Drill Press Sears Craftsman 101-03622; 10" Wet Grinder Sears Dunlap. These were in regular use in my shop until I downsized. They are relics of an age when tools were made to last. Interestingly motors for power tools in that era were sold separately. Most people swapped motors from tool to tool until they could acquire enough discarded washing machine and dryer motors. These machines were in perfect working order and are at least as durable and useful as their modern counterparts. They should last indefinitely. Also, until Sears reorganization, most parts were available for most machines. I don't know what the equivalent tools would cost today -- probably too much for most of us.

A trip down memory lane

Doug