Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: curious What is the oldest power tool that you still use

My 12" jointer, a Northfield from between 1921 and 1930.
    Chuck Taylor

1989 Shopsmith Mark V
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

1980's PM1200 20" drill press

1937 Delta 1200 scroll saw. Runs like a sewing machine and I use it quite often. I’ve got other stationary machines (Craftsman, Dewalt, Parks) from the early ‘60s that get a lot of use and my dad’s no-name electric drill (probably Mall) from the late ‘40s that I rarely use.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The planer marks are still visible over the entire saw table and even on the throat plate. That saw is good for several more lifetimes. Both machines are impressive. Dave
    Larry's saw is really impressive. And the fact that it is used daily and producing some of the most interesting work I've seen even more so. I also love that the saw has a "history." The saw has a feature I've never seen, which is an arm with notched detents that allows dropping the blade almost instantly, below the table top surface. While it may have had other purposes, it was also a clever approach to saw safety. Are any manufacturers still producing tools with planed surfaces? I have several late vintage Italian and Austrian machines with beautifully planed surfaces. Occasionally I see the equipment to do planing on sale through industrial recovery and other sources. I'm guessing there are few folks around that know what surface planing is, or even how to use or maintain the equipment to do it.

My Yates mortiser is listed on Vintage Machinery. It is the only M40 I've ever seen ... though it is pretty much identical to one of their other models ... in fact Peter G. has several in his shop in the Berkshires. Mine came from Dave Kuns. Dave Kuns had purchased from Don Britt in Isola, Kansas back in the mid-1990s. Somewhere along the line it had been suggested the mortiser had been purchased originally by Boeing, which is possible since Boeing Wichita, with groundbreaking in June 1941 for the production of the B-29 bomber, was in partial operation one year later in June 1942. Wichita was almost precisely in the center of the country and deemed relatively safe (at that time) from the risk of war, and with Boeing's Stearman production already located in Wichita, it seemed a natural choice to expand production. At one time the location supported 40,000 workers and what I was told was the largest indoor production facility in the world. I have no paperwork, but according to the S/N Registry at VM the mortiser is a 1943 machine, that might dovetail nicely with the startup of that Wichita facility just a few hours west of Isola.

I lived in Wichita for a number of years, so I enjoy thinking my mortiser and I spent time in the same place before meeting again a few years back.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 08-09-2018 at 8:36 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

My belt sander purchased at SEARS on the very beginning of 1990s. It was used last time yesterday.

Blog Entries
    B&D 7-1/4” SawCat bought new in 1967. A Craftsman King Seeley 6” jointer gifted as a pile of rust in 1979, probably from the 1950’s.

I have a Craftsman router my Dad bought in the mid 70s. Still works very well.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My 20" Walker Turner drillpress. It is older then 1951 since it has the cast iron belt guard.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-10-2018 at 11:01 AM.

I think I am the oldest tool in my shop?

The oldest one is a 1923 Whitney No. 134 direct drive double spindle shaper. I don't use it every day as I don't use a shaper every day, but when I need to use it, I do, and it works well. It came out of a cabinet shop that went belly-up recently before I got it, and they were using it until they closed.

The oldest tool I use on an "every day I am in the shop" basis is my 1956 medium arm DeWalt GE radial arm saw. It is indispensable and I probably use this tool more than any other powered tool save for the shop vac and the dust collector.
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 08-10-2018 at 8:07 AM.

1946 14" Delta Band Saw....still runs straight & true.....

Keith, maybe you need to be fettled a little bit.

1921 Wysong and Miles mortising machine model 272
    Late 1920's Crescent 26" bandsaw
    1949 Crescent 12' jointer
    1950s Parks 12" planer, Boice Crane oscillating spindle sander, Delta scroll saw
    1960s Delta 12" wood lathe and Powermatic 1150 drill press
    1970s Delta Unisaw

I have a Black and Decker 3/8" drill I bought from K-mart back in the early 1970's.

Somewhere in the house is my 1963 jig saw and 1963 1/4 sheet sander.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon