Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DMT Stones-- Oil, Water or nothing?

DMT Stones-- Oil, Water or nothing?

Recently I purchased a set of DMT 4x10 Dia Sharp (diamond) stones. Instructions suggest water or dry but I was wondering if anybody has used oil (Trend honing oil) on these diamonds? Seems that the holes would fill with goo.
    And how does one go about cleaning them after use?

They work well with water or with a light oil - the only function of the liquid on a diamond "stone" is to float the filings away. As long as the liquid has sufficient surface tension, it'll do the job. Cleaning is a matter of washing, with maybe a little light brushing.

I assume since you ask about "holes" you have one of the composite ones with a metal grid over plastic. I have switched to the solid steel ones. They are dead flat and pretty close to indestructible. I love 'em.

An aside about cleaning them - DMT sent me a brass brush to use with mine, as a gift after I'd had a peoblem with an order.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don't think it matters too much what you use. I use windex. Cleaning is easy, just rub it with one of those white erasers (although I'm not sure if the eraser would work well if you used an oil).

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    An aside about cleaning them - DMT sent me a brass brush to use with mine, as a gift after I'd had a peoblem with an order.
    Yes, I should have said "a little light brushing with a brass brush." I use a brass welders' brush on the rare occasions I need any.

But really, these are pretty foolproof sharpening tools. I've use them from Extra Coarse to Extra Extra Fine and other than a leather strop, they are the only flat sharpening surfaces I use.

I believe some folks also use water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid mixed in. I also believe that the Windex mentioned above also has lots of users.
    David

Like Steve, i use the whole range from 120 to 8000 and finish with a strop.

I use Simple Green but any thin liquid is fine.... Mineral spirits, water with a couple drops of dish soap mixed in, Windex or straight water. After use i wipe them off with a rag or blue shop towels. I clean mine with a sanding belt "eraser". I'm sure the Trend honing fluid would work fine but the price seems excessive to me since the other liquids work great. I bought my first "stone" in '84 and it still works fine.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I have a set of three Ultra Sharp Diamond Sharpening Stone Set - 8"x3" (300, 600 and 1,200 grit). They were my first diamond stones and I have used them a fair amount in the last few months. I am plenty glad and probably they will last long years until need replacement.

I use only water or window cleaning solution. I clean up them with a soft nylon brush and a couple of times I used a white school natural rubber eraser.

I traditionally used dry but have been toying with windex and also water. Water seems to be the winner of those two but im not seeing much of an advantage over dry. On other sharpening mediums yes but not so much with DMT.

Blog Entries
    A bit of water or mineral spirits to float off the spoil if I am generating a lot. For most of my use, which is touch ups, I run dry. I do wash them off in the sink and towel dry when done whether used wet or dry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I could never find a lubricant that "felt right" on diamonds. Oil was too thick in my experience. Water was so-so. Window cleaners left me with an allergic reaction (!). Mean Green, which someone recommended, would be a much safer alternative.

I tend to just sharpen dry and wash them off as they load. I imagine brushing them off would work well too.

Mineral spirits is my go-to. I keep a French's mustard bottle (best squeeze bottle ever) of it and give a small squirt before use. When I am done, I just wipe it clean with a cloth. It seems to be thin enough not to clog and not water-based, so no stray drops to aid rust.

I used the Trend lubricant for a while, but it was expensive. Lately, I've been using kerosene or lamp oil on my diamond plates. I don't like water because it has the potential to rust if you don't dry it all off carefully.

Ted, which diamond stones are you using? DMT recommends water for their stones and I've not had any rust issues with them or my 8"x8" EZE-LAP plates. I believe Trend is the only manufacturer that warns about rust. 0807181541a.jpg0807181541a.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 08-07-2018 at 3:55 PM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Thanks for all the replys. Appears that most everyone has a method that works for them. I'll try them all and find the one that works well for me. I have a lot of sharpening to do!