Thread: You’re doing it wrong

Blog Entries

You’re doing it wrong

Saw this on eBay. I sure feel silly now having been using these all this time to mount outboard motors.
    D04666EA-12FC-4C4F-966E-D29274C04F7D.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 08-05-2018 at 6:43 PM.

That's right up there with radio alarm saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post

Which model are you offering?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    Boy, you don't want to try to hit the snooze button on one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Saw this on eBay. I sure feel silly now having been using these all this time to mount outboard motors.
    D04666EA-12FC-4C4F-966E-D29274C04F7D.jpg
    Oh, wow! Now I can get through that low bridge!!!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Yeah - that’s for the small “Kicker” mast so you can slow down when moving around or mooring in port..

For the perfect charter boat ... once described to me as "short mast, big motor."
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Oh, wow! Now I can get through that low bridge!!!
    Im sure you have seen this before.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kiv0fxFcV3I

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Yeah - that’s for the small “Kicker” mast so you can slow down when moving around or mooring in port..
    That made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    For the perfect charter boat ... once described to me as "short mast, big motor."
    Don’t start me talking. I live in the charter boat capitol of the world. We call them “credit card captains”; lots of money, few skills. This event took place at a mooring field I frequent, and shows why I always carry a knife on board- in this case to quickly cut an anchor free.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxg30c6z00E

I've seen the Captain Credit Card video before. The heeling ketch through the bridge is a new one for me. Good he didn't get some power jockey come by and turn those weights into action packed pendulum action. That could have been a LOT more exciting.

Not quite like your neck of the woods, but we lived in Annapolis, right on Spa Creek, for some time. Lots of interesting anchoring techniques, particularly on Saturday afternoons. Plus we always had the pimped-out drug runner types showing off on Ego Alley (they were always pretty careful not to play bumper cars with those things, usually successfully). Interesting times. Much tamer today.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Don’t start me talking. I live in the charter boat capitol of the world. We call them “credit card captains”; lots of money, few skills. This event took place at a mooring field I frequent, and shows why I always carry a knife on board- in this case to quickly cut an anchor free.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxg30c6z00E
    Wow. That’s Beautiful work there. Hitting 6 boats in 1 go without even looking around to see what is going on. Amazing.

“I christen thee Captain Crunch!”

He sure earned that title!

You would think the first thing you would want to teach somebody was mooring procedures... It’s a 10 ton boat and it’s going to drift and blow all over the place. At least get the fenders out as a courtesy...

I grew up by the ocean. At least once a month - a sailboat would get stuck under a draw bridge because they were trying to pass under the bridge under SAIL!!!! And it was always the same every time.... Surprised that the wind stopped and swirled around under the bridge.... And since it was a draw bridge - it halted traffic for HOURS each time as they fiddled around with fouled sails.... And then “Clunk” they would smack right into the bridge... Then somebody calls the Marine Patrol to go sort the idiots out. And next month (or next week) it was the same thing all over again. No no no no. Idiot!!! Go under a draw bridge under power.... you have a kicker - use it...

And a couple times a year - Captain Crunch would come along and run his sailboat right into a closed draw bridge and smash up the mast..... Come on idiot - There’s a bridge here... you can see it a long way off... drop your sails so you don’t blow into the bridge... Get the kicker ready.. Radio the bridge tender on the posted frequency and he will raise the bridge for you.... But no... crash...
    Last edited by John C Cox; 08-13-2018 at 2:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow. That’s Beautiful work there. Hitting 6 boats in 1 go without even looking around to see what is going on. Amazing.

“I christen thee Captain Crunch!”

He sure earned that title!

You would think the first thing you would want to teach somebody was mooring procedures... It’s a 10 ton boat and it’s going to drift and blow all over the place. At least get the fenders out as a courtesy...

I grew up by the ocean. At least once a month - a sailboat would get stuck under a draw bridge because they were trying to pass under the bridge under SAIL!!!! And it was always the same every time.... Surprised that the wind stopped and swirled around under the bridge.... And since it was a draw bridge - it halted traffic for HOURS each time as they fiddled around with fouled sails.... And then “Clunk” they would smack right into the bridge... Then somebody calls the Marine Patrol to go sort the idiots out. And next month (or next week) it was the same thing all over again. No no no no. Idiot!!! Go under a draw bridge under power.... you have a kicker - use it...

And a couple times a year - Captain Crunch would come along and run his sailboat right into a closed draw bridge and smash up the mast..... Come on idiot - There’s a bridge here... you can see it a long way off... drop your sails so you don’t blow into the bridge... Get the kicker ready.. Radio the bridge tender on the posted frequency and he will raise the bridge for you.... But no... crash...
    CYOA Yacht Charters in St Thomas does a very thorough checkout. You have to sail the boat with their captain before you go out as a bareboat charter. The Moorings May have that policy, but clearly they are not as strict. I’ve watched Moorings charters spend 10 minutes trying to tie off the dinghy at Norman Island where there is a line between two buoys to tie off to. “What? No cleat? Oh my, what do I do with this painter?” I had to help a guy sail off a mooring because his engine died. He was completely panicked. “We have to turn this boat in- how are we going to get it back to St. Thomas?” Um, hey- how about you SAIL it back. You’d be amazed at the number of Sea Tow calls from sailboats with perfectly good sails. Also the number of folks that sail right into well-marked reefs. I could go on.

Why not sail there? Because they have no actual idea how to sail.... A day or two riding on a boat with somebody else driving doesn’t make you a sailor anymore than riding a lawn mower prepares you to drive an 85,000 lb over the road semi-truck...

I started sailing when I was 10.. Started on the pram, moved my way up through small hobies and finally into 16 footers before life caught up to me... Always wanted to go sail larger boats out to the islands.. Then I moved inland and haven’t gotten to have fun like that in a long time...

I could probably sail a little boat in a lake or bay given an hour or two to knock the rust off... I would have to be careful because I am out of shape for hauling lines or righting a boat if I flipped one.. It used to be a game for us to flip one, then right it and get it sailing fastest... That’s good training for kids to think on their feet and not panic... I have enough sense to stay out of something big without several months of hands on training/experience - not to mention getting my body in shape for sailing....

I suppose in a way I sort of feel for those folks..... most probably never even sailed a pram much less a 12 foot catamaran.... Then move up to an ocean going 30’ sailboat without any more than a hefty credit card payment and a hearty Fare thee well!...

It just illustrates how poor of a job they do of getting people to appreciate their limits and the reality of their situation....

Blog Entries
    Why not sail there? Because they have no actual idea how to sail.... A day or two riding on a boat with somebody else driving doesn’t make you a sailor anymore than riding a lawn mower prepares you to drive an 85,000 lb over the road semi-truck...

I started sailing when I was 10.. Started on the pram, moved my way up through small hobies and finally into 16 footers before life caught up to me... Always wanted to go sail larger boats out to the islands.. Then I moved inland and haven’t gotten to have fun like that in a long time...

I could probably sail a little boat in a lake or bay given an hour or two to knock the rust off... I would have to be careful because I am out of shape for hauling lines or righting a boat if I flipped one.. It used to be a game for us to flip one, then right it and get it sailing fastest... That’s good training for kids to think on their feet and not panic... I have enough sense to stay out of something big without several months of hands on training/experience - not to mention getting my body in shape for sailing....

I suppose in a way I sort of feel for those folks..... most probably never even sailed a pram much less a 12 foot catamaran.... Then move up to an ocean going 30’ sailboat without any more than a hefty credit card payment and a hearty Fare thee well!...

It just illustrates how poor of a job they do of getting people to appreciate their limits and the reality of their situation....
    Try 40' and up! If they can't sail a keelboat, they need to charter a captain. Also we are pretty much offshore as soon as you leave the dock. 6-8 foot seas are fairly common. I also love the power boaters who rent with no checkout whatsoever, and then they head out into 6-8 with the bow trimmed all the way up like they did on the lake back home.

My buddy rents kayaks. He once asked a guy, "have you ever kayaked before?" The guy replied, "no, but my uncle owns a motorcycle." We still haven't figured out that correlation.