Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stickley library table

Stickley library table

Finally got back to the table build, after being over whelmed with honey-dos, hand surgery and consulting with my Danish friends on their new software. Found some nice 10/4 rough sawn QSWO from a local mill for the table ends and squared it and planed it to size and glued up the blanks. Why does my glue up of anything large, despite planning, walking thru the steps and other prep work, always turn into a 3 alarm fire drill?? Oh well, it worked out. So one end is mostly ready for sanding etc, and the mortises for the stretchers.
    20180805_121215.jpg
    Cutting the 3 holes was a bit of a struggle. Tried to lay it out so I could cut them before assembly but it didn't work out. Started cutting them with a jig saw but that was a pain so I made the side cuts with my 7 1/4" saw. plunge cutting. Kind of nerve wracking but I've been using that saw for so long I wasn't really worried - just focused. Then to the router table and the flush bit, with the pattern attached. Easy peasy. Now I get to start over on this one.
    20180805_121555.jpg

And a special shout out to Dave Richards for his help with the Sketchup drawing. Very generous with his time and much appreciated.
    20180805_121738.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Looks really nice, Bill. Great job on the cut outs! And that figure in the WO is really interesting.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Looking real good! I am looking forward watching your project progress.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Looks fantastic, nice materials. Those cuts are impressive, it can't be easy to make those so nicely on 10/4 material.

it was a bit dicey.... Hopefully back at it this afternoon.
    20180805_155237.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whoa...

Did the saw bog down or cut ok? What blade is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    it was a bit dicey.... Hopefully back at it this afternoon.
    20180805_155237.jpg

No, the saw handled it well. Been using it for about 10 years or so, and it's a great tool. The blade is a Hitachi VRR Fast Framing blade. Contrary to it's name, it cuts really clean, and fast. And that blade is has been in there for a year. Plunge cutting like that is kind of dangerous, and I don't recommend it. But sometimes it's the only way to get it done. If you do try it, 2 tips: watch the ass end of the blade. People watch the lead edge to make sure it's on line but the back end can wander as well. And also will cut past your base line if you're not careful. The other tip: hold on tight!

I did a plunge cut like that once in 3/4 in material. I loosened my grip for a second and that saw hopped out and scared the $@&@&& out of me. I’ll take a look at that particular blade. Your results speak for themselves.

No, the saw handled it well. Been using it for about 10 years or so, and it's a great tool. The blade is a Hitachi VRR Fast Framing blade. Contrary to it's name, it cuts really clean, and fast. And that blade is has been in there for a year. Plunge cutting like that is kind of dangerous, and I don't recommend it. But sometimes it's the only way to get it done. If you do try it, 2 tips: watch the ass end of the blade. People watch the lead edge to make sure it's on line but the back end can wander as well. And also will cut past your base line if you're not careful. The other tip: hold on tight!

So I got the second leg done, but not without an exciting mishap. After drilling some holes and finishing the plunge cuts with the jig saw, it was on to the router table. I had the pattern stuck to the leg and was making the long cut with a flush bit when the template slipped. I never pin a template because I don't like the hole, small as they are. The bit chewed into the side about an 1/8" inside the line. Very disappointing but maybe I should have known. These are big thick pieces on the router table, so maybe I should have pinned it. Anyway, since this is for my office above my workshop, not for someone else, I moved the template a skosh and yes, pinned the template (hindsight is SO clear) and finished the end. As you can see from the pics, everything except the 1 edge is very nicely lined up. Next will be the bottom, flat stretcher and it's corresponding thru tenons and mortises.
    table (1 of 7).jpgtable (2 of 7).jpgtable (3 of 7).jpgtable (4 of 7).jpgtable (5 of 7).jpgtable (6 of 7).jpgtable (7 of 7).jpg

It still looks stellar. Looking forward to more progress!

So I got the second leg done, but not without an exciting mishap. After drilling some holes and finishing the plunge cuts with the jig saw, it was on to the router table. I had the pattern stuck to the leg and was making the long cut with a flush bit when the template slipped. I never pin a template because I don't like the hole, small as they are. The bit chewed into the side about an 1/8" inside the line. Very disappointing but maybe I should have known. These are big thick pieces on the router table, so maybe I should have pinned it. Anyway, since this is for my office above my workshop, not for someone else, I moved the template a skosh and yes, pinned the template (hindsight is SO clear) and finished the end. As you can see from the pics, everything except the 1 edge is very nicely lined up. Next will be the bottom, flat stretcher and it's corresponding thru tenons and mortises.
    table (1 of 7).jpgtable (2 of 7).jpgtable (3 of 7).jpgtable (4 of 7).jpgtable (5 of 7).jpgtable (6 of 7).jpgtable (7 of 7).jpg

Got the bottom stretcher finished. Again, used the PC circular saw to rough out the tenons, the cleaned them up with chisels.
    20180811_185032.jpg20180811_185043.jpg

I have some concern about the wedges blowing out the end of the tenons. Anyone ever reinforce the bottom of the tenons? I was thinking of mortising in a pair of corner brackets to the under side.

Finished the thru mortises at one end and have the other end roughed out. Hands got to hurting so called it a nite.
    table (1 of 4).jpgtable (2 of 4).jpgtable (3 of 4).jpgtable (4 of 4).jpg

Almost ready to start sanding. Ends are done. Pins are in place for the bottom and the top stretchers. And the 2 halves of the top are glued up. This is going to be a heavy one. The tenons for the stretchers are loose so that I can knock it down easily, but when assembled it's rock solid. Going to screw the braces to the tops of the legs and the middle of the top stretcher. Wish I could figure out a way to avoid fasteners altogether, but all I can come up with is to make the braces in pairs, mortise them offset a bit and use pins. I don't mind screwing the braces to the tops of the legs because the top stretcher will still come out easily when the pin is knocked out. And the center one could be screwed, thru slots, to the top. And not having a joiner presented a challenge. I used my 6' level with a block screwed to the end to run the boards for the top thru the table saw. A couple of the boards had to be put thru a couple of times but it worked ok eventually.
    20180818_121427.jpg20180818_163641.jpg20180826_163158.jpg20180902_143541.jpg20180902_153103.jpg

Finally finished! Now I can move on to a new project. The last pic is a "thing" I made so I wouldn't have to clamp the monitor arms, mic and lamp to the new table.
    _MG_5467.jpg_MG_5472.jpg_MG_5427.jpg_MG_5433.jpg_MG_5414.jpg_MG_5493.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful work, Bill! A project well done!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...