Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stickley library table

Excellent results! Thanks for letting us follow your progress.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Gorgeous!! What finish did you use for the table? I love the color.

Thanks Nick: Varathane Dark Walnut gel stain, then sanded to 320; 2 coats of Amber Zinnser Shellac, scuffed between coast with purple 3M pad, 2 coats of 1lb dewaxed blonde shellac (Wellermart), scuffed, then about 12 coats of wipe on poly sanded to 320 between coats. Everything was put on with pads - no brushes. I was pretty insecure about the finish and experimented for a month with different combos, but in the end I'm pleased with the way it came out. And I discovered that micro fiber cloths do as good a job on sanding dust as tack cloths. IMHO.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

and I should add that the pics are a bit more red than the real deal. Not a lot, but some. Probably;y the most accurate pic is this one.
    _MG_5414.jpg

Bill, absolutely beautiful! Well done Sir!

Also, I am in the beginning stages of a pair of oak end tables for my wife. I think I will have to steal part of, if not all, your finishing regimen! Again, nice work Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

thanks Ken - wasn't just my regimen. I had a ton of help from fellow creekers. And it took a month of futzing around to find what I liked. But all those coats of wipe on paid off - smooth as glass.

Beautiful table Bill. I love the knock down feature - it makes things so much easier on the back to move.

Beautiful, Bill. And the finish you finally settled on prove all those specimens were worth it.

John

Structure looks a bit ... um, delicate. You're sure you can't up the legs to 12/4? I just HATE a shaky table.

Nicely done, sir! And I too have some oak in my future, so will tag this for your finish.

Nice job Bill. The table looks great. Very well done.

Thanks for sharing Bill. I definitely like that style and hope to do something similar for our house one day. Outstanding work and your hand work with the circ saw reminded me of my many-days-long-past of working as a bridge carpenter (pre OSHA days). What do you recon the table weighs?
    David

It turned out fabulous, nice work. You got hold of some really good QSWO.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks for sharing Bill. I definitely like that style and hope to do something similar for our house one day. Outstanding work and your hand work with the circ saw reminded me of my many-days-long-past of working as a bridge carpenter (pre OSHA days). What do you recon the table weighs?
    Probably a couple hundred pounds. I needed the kid across the street to help carry the top up to my office. My son in law is a carpenter building bridges, and he and I spent a couple of hours this summer, on a lark, sharing skil saw tricks we've learned in our combined 50 years of carpentry. Not stuff you want to try at home kids. And I have made some nice things from the lagging he gets for me. Even got a 3x8x8' piece of cherry once.

Thanks Bill. My Skil saw use has shrunken over the years and I sold my framing/remodeling equipment package that included my many-years-old worm drive saw about three years ago. My maybe one-twice a year circ saw use is now limited to a newer Makita saw that weighs considerably less.
    David

Just saw this. Nice job on the table. I also like your office. I am currently building a shop with a second story office. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Regards,

Kris