Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this the first Glowforge that has burned to a crisp?

The only real possibility for a fire when engraving is if something strange happens and the laser stops moving but keep firing - not much chance of that happening so it's not really a fear of mine. Even still, I won't leave the laser running, even engraving, unless it's anodized aluminum (99% of what I do anymore) or stainless with cermark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ENGRAVING acrylics is pretty much never going to start any fires, there's never enough heat in any one place long enough to start any combustion, like quickly passing a piece of paper over a flame. Myself, I never worry about ANY raster engraving starting fires.

CUTTING acrylics, different story, like SLOWLY passing paper over a flame. I don't leave a machine that's cutting...

But, we're talking about glowforge here, where SLOWLY and ENGRAVING seem to be one in the same

From the moment I saw the early prototypes I was concerned about the construction and the materials used for the housing. Safety, cooling, stability (vibrations and resonance issues from the steppers), etc. Overall a poorly engineered machine. Way too expensive for what it is.

I also see that they have a problem if where you place it is not perfectly level that it may not cut through. Even just a little warp about the thickness of heave paper keeps it from cutting. Plastic doesn't make a very sturdy platform for a laser

I'm pretty sure those of us that have had a fire didn't loose their machine because of it. We have metal case's and could rebuild the machine. This machine because of the crappy plastic case is a total loss and the owner is out a few grand.Too bad these people got taken in by a clever bunch of false advertising.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I was following a thread about not being able to use it because it was to hot in his house. He complained that his old K40 was better then the Glowforge but he can't return it.

well yea , if he read the contract he would have known that it was ambient cooling and would not run over 75F and that once he got it he was stuck with it. Seems like all these owners just see the easy to use part and everything else is over their heads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I was following a thread about not being able to use it because it was to hot in his house. He complained that his old K40 was better then the Glowforge but he can't return it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's impossible. Those of us who said this is what would happen were berated and told we didn't know what we were talking about.
    Bueler, Bueler, Bueler.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

The original glowforge thread went on so long that I read along to follow the debate. There was at least one very vocal person who argued loudly and vehemently with everyone who criticized glowforge in that thread. Odd that I (still) don't see a single comment from them on this thread. Somehow, their silence reminds me of an old quote I read somewhere: "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

So now how long before the recalls. or class action lawsuits start? Its only a matter of time, a year or two years? Then the bankruptcy and thousands of owners left with machines that will not work without the online software..... But wait, that can't happen!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    and thousands of owners left with machines that will not work without the online software..... But wait, that can't happen!
    Every single one of those machines will work just as well as they do now...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Every single one of those machines will work just as well as they do now...
    ea like crap LOL
    y
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You won't see many burn as they can't get past the waiting and calibrating so no firing of the laser

I.m really surprised that one actually ran long enough to start a fire. It seems they have to stop every few min's to cool off because they don't work if its over 75 F
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Don't count them out yet, JoAnn fabric invested a lot into the company and they are putting them in their stores and offering them as a service. So now JoAnna fabric is in the laser engraving business with that machine.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Good for JoAnn. One more thing they'll screw up.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7