Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this the first Glowforge that has burned to a crisp?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Is this the first Glowforge that has burned to a crisp?

twitter.com/FLeuhusen/status/1025578529474273281
    Today I made the mistake of leaving my @glowforge in the other room while printing. During the 4 hour print, the printer exploded. On my way to the hospital to manage carbon-monoxide poisoning...
    glowforge.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-05-2018 at 8:31 AM.

Bet in made a mess of the living room it was in.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

He's on his way to the hospital and has time/energy/interest to send a tweet? Really?!?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's impossible. Those of us who said this is what would happen were berated and told we didn't know what we were talking about.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

His twitter account posts seems to be a place to complain about companies. Glad he publicly admitting he made the mistake and left the GF laser unattended. From his twitter feed it seems he has emailed GF multiple times about this situation already.

Anyone else tired of reading Glowforge users refer to printing?
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Since many of us have had our own laser fires to deal with, including me, I'm not touching this one
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

>>Since many of us have had our own laser fires to deal with, including me,<<

+1. Yep, had a nice little mini flame festival the other day when I thought I had turned the air assist pump on but in reality had not. Can't blame anyone but myself!
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    Yup.

Yes yes yes
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I'm pretty sure those of us that have had a fire didn't loose their machine because of it. We have metal case's and could rebuild the machine. This machine because of the crappy plastic case is a total loss and the owner is out a few grand.Too bad these people got taken in by a clever bunch of false advertising.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    it grates on me as much as people who say "nucular"

Strange, I tried finding the thread on GF forum but couldn't find it. It's definitely interesting to see all the issues they're having though, like several people on their 3rd and even 4th machine that failed and needed replacement. What's the old saying? Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me, three times? What's that?
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

It is in the everything else section

Found it thanks, interesting that the consensus seems to be the the GlowForge is still a success as it was able to contain the fire and not burn the house down, GF wins again!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's impossible. Those of us who said this is what would happen were berated and told we didn't know what we were talking about.
    Bueler, Bueler, Bueler.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

The original glowforge thread went on so long that I read along to follow the debate. There was at least one very vocal person who argued loudly and vehemently with everyone who criticized glowforge in that thread. Odd that I (still) don't see a single comment from them on this thread. Somehow, their silence reminds me of an old quote I read somewhere: "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”