Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this the first Glowforge that has burned to a crisp?

Exclamation Is this the first Glowforge that has burned to a crisp?

twitter.com/FLeuhusen/status/1025578529474273281
    Today I made the mistake of leaving my @glowforge in the other room while printing. During the 4 hour print, the printer exploded. On my way to the hospital to manage carbon-monoxide poisoning...
    glowforge.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-05-2018 at 8:31 AM.

Bet in made a mess of the living room it was in.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

He's on his way to the hospital and has time/energy/interest to send a tweet? Really?!?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's impossible. Those of us who said this is what would happen were berated and told we didn't know what we were talking about.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

His twitter account posts seems to be a place to complain about companies. Glad he publicly admitting he made the mistake and left the GF laser unattended. From his twitter feed it seems he has emailed GF multiple times about this situation already.

Anyone else tired of reading Glowforge users refer to printing?
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Since many of us have had our own laser fires to deal with, including me, I'm not touching this one
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

>>Since many of us have had our own laser fires to deal with, including me,<<

+1. Yep, had a nice little mini flame festival the other day when I thought I had turned the air assist pump on but in reality had not. Can't blame anyone but myself!
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

I'm not sure what I find to be the worst thing here - that it caught fire or that you can run a job that takes 4 hours(!!!) on a machine that small.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    I'm not sure what I find to be the worst thing here - that it caught fire or that you can run a job that takes 4 hours(!!!) on a machine that small.
    But the concern is, none of the GlowForge owners are made aware of the fire danger are they?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Right Bill they just advertise how safe they are and even a kid can run them on the Kitchen counter. I think most of us have had a fire or 2 but I don't think any of us lost our machines beyond repair like that one or had to get treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
    Its also apparent he didn't head the warnings to watch his machine, just walked away while it was cutting. To bad he might have been able to save it if he was close by. Now he's out what 2-3 maybe $4000 or more.
    No one can say for sure if that was the first one I'd bet there were others that it happened to but they were to embarrassed to post it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Holy Smoke just read this in the Glowdorge Forum

"For legal reasons, we are not allowed to discuss safety concerns except in the Beyond the Manual section "

Are they kidding me, can't talk about safty in the manual.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I did note all the fans trying their hardest to justify what happened or disprove the evidence in the picture "Too much soot, must have been cutting something they were not supposed to"

Or maybe the plastic case that caught fire generated the soot like pretty much every other injection moulding does if you set fire to it. The machine is a bad joke, the marketing campaign despite being very successful is what leads to this kind of thing happening when soccer mom's think putting something in your house that can burn it down in under 10 minutes is a sound business decision.

Bert the safety concerns issue is one of liability....if you in any way admit that a safety concern is valid there are a queue of government agencies just waiting to make you recall everything you ever sold in pretty much all developed countries.

Want to annoy GF and the fanboys? ask them why the machines are not permitted to be used in schools and educational establishments....
    You did what !

Wow I see safety warnings on lots of things. Look at all the warnings on cars about airbags, Many things I've seen with a warning that it may be a fire hazard, or a choking hazard. Even are lasers have a radiation warning on them. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense not to list the hazards. I know if it were me and it caught fire and there was no mention of the danger They would have a pretty big lawsuit on their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    I did note all the fans trying their hardest to justify what happened or disprove the evidence in the picture "Too much soot, must have been cutting something they were not supposed to"

Or maybe the plastic case that caught fire generated the soot like pretty much every other injection moulding does if you set fire to it. The machine is a bad joke, the marketing campaign despite being very successful is what leads to this kind of thing happening when soccer mom's think putting something in your house that can burn it down in under 10 minutes is a sound business decision.

Bert the safety concerns issue is one of liability....if you in any way admit that a safety concern is valid there are a queue of government agencies just waiting to make you recall everything you ever sold in pretty much all developed countries.

Want to annoy GF and the fanboys? ask them why the machines are not permitted to be used in schools and educational establishments....
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

And here is a even more fun part. I just had a go around with my Homeowners Ins over water in our basement. I can only imagine the problem with a non UL listed laser machine fire in the kitchen. Not just the fire but the soot and smoke. No covered, I am sure.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    And here is a even more fun part. I just had a go around with my Homeowners Ins over water in our basement. I can only imagine the problem with a non UL listed laser machine fire in the kitchen. Not just the fire but the soot and smoke. No covered, I am sure.
    I asked our insurance guy about non UL listed equipment and he told us that had zero to do with the claim. A claim submitted would be handled exactly the same, UL or no UL.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.