Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Weather Station

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I was thinking of putting mine on a pole over the roof to get more accurate wind readings. How high over a roof do you need to be to mitigate the effect of the building? I'm guessing that too close and you'll get high or low readings, depending on the geometry.
    To get true wind speed they recommend mounting your anemometer 30 feet above the ground. If there are buildings or trees nearby it would need to be higher. Obviously maintenance and lengths of cord become a factor for a home installation.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    ... maintenance and lengths of cord become a factor for a home installation.
    And lightning protection, although I have no idea if the small data wires could create a hazard. A friend was disconnecting his ham radio antenna wire when lightning struck, vaporizing the wire. He said it left green reside on his hands.

I’ve always wanted one from back when I was a kid and readings would have been manual. We bought a lacrosse several years ago and returned it because I couldn’t even get it working out of the box much leads after sitting in the weather. I’ve looked at them on and off but then found the Weather Underground app and it turns out there are 3-4 in a couple mile radius of me.

I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions! First I have to admit that I know nothing about weather stations, so I did some research and found a few online reviews. Review #1 Review #2

Based on a number of reviews, and a price point I could live with for a first time venture into weather stations, today I ordered the Ambient WS 2902A system. On Wednesday Amazon had it for $169.99 and free shipping but yesterday AmbientWeather.com offered the very same unit for $95.99. Ordered it today and with shipping to my location, total came to $120.54.

Once again, I admit that I have no idea what I am getting into but am looking forward to getting this setup and having fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!