Thread: need help with DC setup

need help with DC setup

i'm getting ready to move into a bigger shop and need to buy a new dust collector. i just bought a CNC and edgebander and i'm looking at a few buildings around the 3k to 4k sf size. i'm thinking of getting a 3 horse grizzly for only the cnc and the edgebander and a smaller one for the rest of the tools. the cnc and edgebander will always be running at the same time. both of those are 6" ports.

1st ?
    is a 8" main enough for 2 6"

2nd
    grizzly has the new g0862, it is rated @ 1941 CFM @2.9" the bigger G0441 is rated @ 1654 CFM @ 2.0" now if both had the same CMF lets say 1500 wouldn't the one rated at 2.9" be better? if my thinking is right that is a awesome little dust collector.

last
    who has the best prices on DC fittings? i will go spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
    i'm getting ready to move into a bigger shop and need to buy a new dust collector. i just bought a CNC and edgebander and i'm looking at a few buildings around the 3k to 4k sf size. i'm thinking of getting a 3 horse grizzly for only the cnc and the edgebander and a smaller one for the rest of the tools. the cnc and edgebander will always be running at the same time. both of those are 6" ports.

1st ?
    is a 8" main enough for 2 6"

2nd
    grizzly has the new g0862, it is rated @ 1941 CFM @2.9" the bigger G0441 is rated @ 1654 CFM @ 2.0" now if both had the same CMF lets say 1500 wouldn't the one rated at 2.9" be better? if my thinking is right that is a awesome little dust collector.

last
    who has the best prices on DC fittings? i will go spiral.
    i picked up an old Dayton cyclone DC with an 8” intake and it’s neen sitting around while I try to find the time to source addordable ductwork and fittings. I came across airhand.com and you might give it a look. They have a “hobbyshop” section...which fits my work & budget... 24 gauge, spiral, and up to 7” diameter. Their industrial section offers a lower gauge spiral 8” diameter and larger. Was thinking I’d maybe run one 8” and then downsize to their 24 gauge 7”, then 6”on drops.

Ill be interested to see other recommendations on retailers. (I don’t have any experience buying from airhand btw)

I think that the actual performance will be less than the rating. A 3 hp dust collector does not have that capability. My 5 hp cyclone comes close to 1900 cfm at about 2.2" static pressure.

Unfortunately, the mfg ratings are often a bit misleading.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Unfortunately, the mfg ratings are often a bit misleading.
    Wait, you mean my 3-1/2 HP router and 6 HP shop vac aren't!?!

There is no controlling standard for dust collectors, blowers and such but, like 6 HP Shop Vacs we learn to use these numbers as a basic quantifier. When you try to get specific down to decimal places is when things really break down. For the size of your building you need to look at seriously large collectors. If not all of that space will be dust creating, an understanding of your tool locations (shop layout) will get you better responses.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would totally agree with all of that, but being the same manufacturer I thought it strange.
    As for needing a big collector because of the size of my space. I'm seeing more benefits in having 2 or 3 smaller ones.
    1st save alot in piping
    2nd not having to have the whole shop shutdown to empty and clean
    3rd having tools like chop saws and stuff that aren't running nonstop, being on a smaller 1.5 horsepower could save power if I do a auto blast gate setup.
    I plan on calling grizzly next week. I hope I get someone that knows what they are talking about.

Not necessarily the same manufacturer just the same seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I think that the actual performance will be less than the rating...Unfortunately, the mfg ratings are often a bit misleading.
    This. Especially with Grizzly. I'd look at the Oneida or Clearvue options.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

do the oneida DCs have the air ramp? i have to say i'm not really considering the clearvue, no mdf on my DC.

i will say i plan on moving shops in 2 to 3 years. so i'm really thinking a couple decent roll around cyclones a better option. we build frameless cabinets and order doors, so the cnc and edgebander are the main tools being used. the other stuff is really just a once and a while thing.

9. Dan,

Did you get to talk to Grizzly and learn anything about the specs of the G0862?

Thanks!

The G0862 has a short cone similar to the Laguna C-Flux DCs which have not received very good reviews. If it were me I would look at the G0441 instead or consider the G0442. and not bother with a second DC. Then of course if cost is is not an issue the Oneida 5hp Hi-Vac would be my number one choice for a CNC.