Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipe for countertops?

Ipe for countertops?

I found a deal on ipe decking. What are you guys' thoughts on ipe for a kitchen countertop?

Ipe' sold for decking is not KD, it's still really wet and you would have to let it dry for many months before you could even consider using it for an indoor application. Even then I would not use Ipe'.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Ipe' sold for decking is not KD, it's still really wet and you would have to let it dry for many months before you could even consider using it for an indoor application. Even then I would not use Ipe'.

John
    All the Ipe decking I ever ordered was KD.

Always stickered for two weeks before installing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    All the Ipe decking I ever ordered was KD.

Always stickered for two weeks before installing.
    If you check the MC you'll find that KD for deck wood does not mean 6 - 8%, as commonly used for interior work. Not even close.

John

I made a couple of table tops from dismantled fencing. Very tough to work with.

I used a track saw to put a "clean" edge on the boards for the glue up, and it was a very different experience to running the saw along oak. It creates a lot of needle type dust.

I then put the glue-up through a sander, I wouldn't want to ruin my planer knives on the ipe, plus I think there would be a lot of chipping out with knives. It took a long time putting it through the sander, it's so hard I could only take off a minute amount on each pass.

Good luck, it might make lovely counters. I won't rush to work with it again.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you check the MC you'll find that KD for deck wood does not mean 6 - 8%, as commonly used for interior work. Not even close.

John
    It came at about 10, some were lower.

It's a funny thing how they deal with it, when you open the shipping containers the steam rolls out.

I have planed it, faced it, ran it through the shaper, BS, a moulder, etc.

Horrible stuff to work with, unstable and splintery- best used outdoors.

Even if you could get it to stay together it would not show well inside since it needs a lot of light to not look like mdf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Even if you could get it to stay together it would not show well inside since it needs a lot of light to not look like mdf.
    Huh?

How does ipe remotely resemble mdf?

Glued it wit TB2 and numerous varieties of West systems.

Ipe is some nasty stuff very hard wood.
    A lot like apitong good for decks and truck beds that haul heavy machinery.
    So my vote is no.
    Aj

I'd like to see the results. Earlier this summer I purchased a batch of preused Ipe that had been on a deck for a number of years. I was impressed by the fact that there was very little checking, warping or other evidence of enduring Michigan's considerable weather changes. I think the wood is beautiful and though I know it will dull cutting edges, I imagine if dried carefully would make a very attractive and durable countertop. Please post some pics if you go this route.

Ever notice that any discussion about ipe shows a wide range of experience about its workability? I think the issue is that one person's ipe is actually not the same species as the next person's. Ipe is not the name of a single species. It is a marketing name applied to seven different species from South and Central America. The position of the hardwood decking industry is that all those species are equivalent. My guess is that for non-decking use, they are not the same.

my thoughts, I havent seen seven but have seen two levels of quality at two price ranges. Used Abeco and Ipe with Ipe being a bit nicer. Say it will last 80 years untreated on some long board walk its been used on. Ive used it on handles on kitchen stuff say a glass lid where the plastic handle breaks. The ipe is still there 10 years later and still looks good. my body isnt impressed with it, got a sliver cuting some stuff for a friend, left it and not many hours later swollen and full of puss. At least it was easy to remove. Dust stuck to the saw fence like it was magnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Ever notice that any discussion about ipe shows a wide range of experience about its workability? I think the issue is that one person's ipe is actually not the same species as the next person's. Ipe is not the name of a single species. It is a marketing name applied to seven different species from South and Central America. The position of the hardwood decking industry is that all those species are equivalent. My guess is that for non-decking use, they are not the same.
    I have bought from the top two suppliers in the country one which has their own Forrests and mills in SA. I have bought from my local supplier. I have used cumaru, tigerwood, garapa, massaranduba. I have a pretty good grip on SA exotic. I could care less about dulling tooling, I am not paying for that.