Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ipe for countertops?

Jamie wholesalers ive spoken with all put IPE at the top. One sold four or five other woods, ones that Darcy has mentioned and for whatever reason, the games that go on didnt sell IPE.

I used several pieces of 5/4 and 8/4 ipe left over from my deck for other small, single-piece projects. Over 10 years later, with no finish, they are still beautiful. They're not beautiful like cocobolo, though. I'm not sure they would be that attractive for a large piece like a countertop, though. Sawn edges are still like glass. They are not exposed to the Sun, otherwise I'm sure they would oxidize to a soft gray. That could be a concern for a countertop. Hard? Yes, it's very, very hard. And there is very fine yellow sawdust.

Boards on my deck did experience some very minor shrinkage the first year, and there was moderate checking up to about an inch in from the [sealed] ends. The wood was supposedly KD, but I didn't check the moisture content.

I have worked with it a couple of times. I have a theory that it isn't actually a plant at all, but a mineral. Darned tough stuff to work, and it splinters like nobody's business.

Partly depends on how your set up for tooling? If you have the ability to glue it up into slabs and sand it after it will make your life much easier. It's too difficult a grain to plane after its glued up even if you had a big enough planer for a c-top. You'll also need help if the tops are even moderately sizes as slabs will be like installing granite..... the stuff is heavy!!!

As for using it for a c-top.... as long as you let it acclimate first I don't see why not? Some of the wood is stunning! Of course when your picking through decking wood it doesn't always show the woods best side. Whenever I use it for a project I try to get a little extra as some boards are just dull and lifeless, others can have amazing grain!

Theres a lot of advice online for gluing it already and I don't glue it much so I won't address that. As mentioned the dust is somewhat toxic and the effects don't always show right away, so try not to breathe it. Splinters suck as its a really brittle wood so you'll get skinny splinters that break off under the skin. Get a razor blade and cut them out asap as they can get pretty ugly. The worst are the ones under the fingernails.... but trust me, you still want to dig them out. You can't wait them out like domestic woods. Oh and don't cut to length sooner than necessary, the ends tend to check if you don't seal them immediately and well.

think thats about it for now, good luck!
    JeffD

The road to hell is paved with ipe.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

My concern for using it on a countertop would be how to finish it? It's not great at soaking in oils and surface coats have a hard time adhering to it. Without any real protective barrier, it may stain pretty easily.

I bet the op is long gone by now.
    Some just need one yea to proceed the 19 nays are ignored.

Scotts post now that’s funny.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    The road to hell is paved with ipe.
    Thats because it doesn't burn easily either

agree with poster who said it is a bunch of different species .stuff i have worked with is hard on cutters ,doesn't glue well and if it wants to move it will .But the wood is toxic to humans also .splinters puss up fast . I personally get ill breathing the stuff ,i tend to get flu's and such when exposed to it .poor choice for a counter top .but OP probable has a better wood picked out .