Thread: Painting oil based paint over water based paint?

Painting oil based paint over water based paint?

I am working on painting the letters in a wood sign. I did my first two coats of paint in the routed out letters with latex Valspar exterior paint plus primer. I am not really happy with the color and found a can of paint that is the right color, only thing is it’s oil based. Can I paint over the paint plus primer with an oil based paint without having adhesion problems down the line?

I'm not having any issue using water borne paint under oil based paints on signs to-date, but I'm new to this. For me, it primarily happens when I prepare something "flat", such as HDU, priming and painting with water borne, masking with contact paper, cutting the sign details and then using spray paint for the areas revealed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have done it over baseboards in the house my folks bought. I just scuffed them with sandpaper and repainted. Don't know if that is sufficient on an exterior sign.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I had always heard not to paint oil over latex. My knowledgeable local Benjamin Moore owner explained that latex remains more pliable and expands/contracts more, while oil is harder and more brittle by comparison. This can cause the oil paint over latex to crack and peel.

Paint formulations have changed considerably in recent years, such that there are non-latex water-borne paints that are very similar to oil paints after they dry, so the old adage may not hold in all cases any longer.