Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Container For Leigh DT Jig?

Container For Leigh DT Jig?

I have an old D4 Dovetail Jig. For years, I've been dealing with it's slightly odd shape, but delicate nature. I'm wondering if anyone here has made a container for theirs, that isn't a monster in size. I've seen a Britt's container on Youtube and now I'd like to see yours. By the way, I"m getting up in years, so weight is consideration. Thanks!

I don't get it. If you put the jig in a container, then you have to find a place to put the jig-filled container. Probably it goes on a shelf someplace. Why not just put the uncontained jig on that shelf? There's less weight to pick up. And of course there's no cost or time required.

I don't use the jig that often, so I now tend to store it when not in use. When stored, it's in with a lot of other tool boxes and such, so I have to be careful about where I place it. In my situation, shop space is at a premium and I can't afford to just set something on a shelf for storage...if I had a shelf.

Your predicament is common (around here anyway), and Jamie's point is valid.

I have gone to putting such items in huge clear plastic bags, and way up on a shelf, making a hanger, etc. The bag keeps the dust off.

If a box is the only way, just start it---you are sure to have another ww adventure.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I have my D4 mounted on an open MDF stand that raises it up from the bench surface I typically use it on. (it's gets held down with knobbed bolts into threaded inserts for stability when in use). I just have that whole thing up high on the wall out of the way between uses...which is every few years, honestly. If I take it down, I just blow any accumulated dust off before setting it up for the job at hand. It was originally hung on a couple of shelf standards, but now just sits on top of a reclaimed kitchen upper cabinet that I placed in that area.

IMG_1594.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-04-2018 at 2:08 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In one of these. Dedicated routers in another one. Something over 120 of the waterproof boxes, in two different sizes, all in their own cubby with all the bits and pieces that go with anything in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do not have a picture but can describe. It is a very simple frame made from scrap pieces (mostly) that I covered inside, sides, back and outside top with hardboard. It is also used to raise the jig higher on the workbench when a longer board is being dovetailed.

I have planned to build a box for my D4R and accessories for about 8 years now, and it still isn't built. For now, it's being stored in a long DeWalt tool bag, the kind you get when buying 3 or more tools packs together. It just fits, and there's enough side room for a plastic box containing the small accessory parts with the manual along side it. Someday soon, I'll build a nice box for it. My FMT Pro jig needs a box too. Right now it's in a very large field serviceman's tool pox that I wasn't using for it's original purpose any more. Again, someday soon, I'm going to build a nice wooden box for it and it's accessories and manual. I wish they offered a nice box for both, but when I asked, they said No and told me to build one. But I always have too much else that needs done. They are both well protected, at least for now.

Charley

Just thought I'd show you what I came up with. Nothing fancy at all and just used scraps. The jig sits in the case and I've incorporated stops to hold the tight. The case can be turned in any direction and won't move. Like I said, nothing fancy here...

That turned out great!

Good choice using the road case handles and hardware. I switched to using those handles for my tack trunk commissions, too...they are much better for lifting and out of the way when not in use.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That turned out great!

Good choice using the road case handles and hardware. I switched to using those handles for my tack trunk commissions, too...they are much better for lifting and out of the way when not in use.
    Thanks. Had to look for those handles and latches. Wish I could have used a lighter weight material for the box. Any suggestions would be great.

Here's the vendor I use for my handles...they have a lot of "road case" type stuff. Do note that it's best to buy more than one of things you'll likely use because of minimum shipping costs, but the products I've bought from them have been great. I use the black handles typically because they don't clash with the brasses that most clients want for trunk hardware.

http://www.tchweb.com/tchstore/categ...--Handles.html
    --

I built a box for mine. The jig is permanently attached to it. The front folds down while the jig pivots from the stowed to the use position. After reaching th use position the front folds back up and locked and it is ready to go. The box raises the jig up to a comfortable working position and the bottom extends past the sides for clamping to a bench. I was going to add accessories drawers but never got around to it. On the negative side, it is big and heavy (3/4" ply).

I bought a flyte case from one of David Bowies guitar players years ago, flyte case handles that ou used but metal extrusions on all edges and some type of heavy plastic over the ply case then lined in foam and Velvet cut out for the 335. It was so heavy that when I bumped a wall with it once and left a large dent. What you built is looks just about as strong. Lots of my stuff is in Rubbermaid containers tons of them. as long as stuff can fit in their size they have good handles and are stackable and have three sizes. that jig would be too large but they work fine for most stuff.

I’m trying to figure out why I’m not seeing any dovetails in either of Derek’s or Alan’s boxes.
    I mean seriously guys.

Says the guy who pulls his off the shelf and has to blow it off with the compressor before he can use it.