Thread: Glue and Ammonia

Glue and Ammonia

So I recently came across some nice QSWO for a good price, and I plan on building a couple of end tables to use as nightstands for the bedroom. I was thinking about trying ammonia fuming as a finish, but I am wondering if it is possible to glue the components together after they have been fumed. If so, I don't have to worry about building a specialized contraption to do the fuming in. (Err.. don't tell my English teacher about that last sentence!)

I've done some searching, but I haven't found any definitive answers. Oh, I also plan to use hide glue on these tables (another first!) if that makes a difference.

It is normal practice to fume after it is together -- probably for uniformity's sake and ease, but I can't see anything related to the process that would affect gluing after the fact, chemistry-wise.

Edit: I did find a post somewhere where a guy said he always fumed cherry before assembly. Again, I can't see how it would affect glue.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 08-03-2018 at 8:41 PM.

I’ve fumed both pre and post assembly. Choose the more convenient method for you. They both work fine.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks guys for the replies... Weird, I couldn't log on yesterday because my computer's clock didn't agree with SMC's... tonight I logged on just fine... no changes on my side...