Thread: Fresh Sawn Cherry

Fresh Sawn Cherry

OK, I just had some cherry sawmilled. I will air dry, and have a couple of questions. I've read the above info. The lumber is currently in a bud's building, so I have to move it soon.

1. In order to protect from insects, can I spray the fresh cut lumber, with one of the mentioned products, as I restack it? Do I need to wait until it drys a little?

2. How long can one wait to put on the end sealer on?

Thanks

Put the end sealer on ASAP.. it helps prevent checking...

For the most part, cherry is only vulnerable to insects immediately after milling. I've had good results with bifenthrin (a common/cheap insecticide) but I've only recently started using it so I don't have much experience.

Thanks for the replies. If I decide to have the lumber kiln dried, does it defeat the purpose if I store it outside?
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 08-06-2018 at 2:37 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Thanks for the replies. If I decide to have the lumber kiln dried, does it defeat the purpose if I store it outside?
    If you kiln dry it then store outside, it will pick up moisture until it reaches equilibrium with the environment in your area, usually 12-15% moisture. You can slow this down by tight stacking or wrapping, but best to store it inside in a conditioned space.

JKJ

Yes definitely seal the ends ASAP. I have had good results with a few coats of leftover interior or exterior house paint. The color helps me remember what wood it is.