Thread: Painting new exterior shutters

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Painting new exterior shutters

Hi all,

I'm making some louver style exterior shutters from redwood. Will be priming/painting.
    I usually use a oil base (Zinsser) primer and Ben Moore Aura acrylic topcoat.
    I have 5 pairs of shutters and each shutter has about 50 louvers.

I have a Accuspray gravity HVLP with 3 stage turbine but I once sprayed latex and I had to thin it so much that IMO it compromised the integrity.

I think I have to paint the louvers (1/4" x 1&1/2") separately for 2 reasons. When installed into the frame (1" spacing) they overlap each other about 50%. Also i would think it's best to paint the entire louver in case of any shrinkage (wood is dry) and sealing the ends is probably a good idea for longevity.
    I suppose it would then make sense to paint the frame before assembly also so I don't have to mask the louvers. I'm using dowels for the frame joinery since these are faux shutters.There is sufficient slop in the louver slots to accommodate louver + paint.

I'm not adverse to hand painting these (they are all second story so don't need to be perfect) but in my experience hand painting small parts is a nightmare because of drips to the underside.

So my question is, should I go ahead and purchase a airless? There are lots on Craiglist or the cheapest Graco is about $300 and I could unload it used if I don't see any future use for it (home exterior was just painted). I'm still way, way ahead of the game financially because these price out at $600 per pair!

Thanks for any tips
    Last edited by Alex Horvath; 08-03-2018 at 5:28 PM.