Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Mounting tv to a wall outlet location

OT: Mounting tv to a wall outlet location

I will be mounting a 45" tv to the wall of the living room. Harbor Freight actually had a good mount on sale for black friday so I have that. Question is where to mount the outlet. I will cut in a outlet near floor level and one above somewhere behind the tv. It is hard to find the studs so I would like to have a plan before I start.
    Any thoughts on best location for the outlet above or below center of the mount, left or right make any difference? This will be a double box with 120 and another side for low voltage signal wiring. All I can find online is think about it before deciding with no real information.
    Bill D.

I would factor in where the TV power plug is and make it convenient based on that.

Also consider using a recessed outlet - ala https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...FclCDAod8A8Efw

I placed all of mine above the mount location. While the power cable usually connects with the bottom of the TV routing it around to the top takes up most of the slack in the cord. While some TVs have flat plugs many have standard ones that if you tilt the TV can cause the TV to rest against the plus and not tilt down adequately.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Another vote for a recessed outlet, particularly if you put it below the mount for the reason Van stated. Other than that, just make sure the outlet is not blocked by the mount and is blocked from view by the tv.

You can purchase a kit for a recessed outlet and cable passthru behind the tv. I’d recommend that. I did that install (no stud necessary for outlet mount) with a sanos tv mount (I think that was the brand) after binning the harbor freight one. Tried it, it sucked. Spend the money on a better mount, the HF one is flimsy, has limited tilt, etc.

in any case, recessed outlet for the win, and passthru if you like. Makes it all really clean.

The outlet question seems to be answered by others so here's a tip on finding the studs. Mark the outline of the TV with a couple pieces of painters tape, then drive a small nail near where you think the stud is, if you miss move it sideways until you find it. Since your holes are behind the TV they will never be noticed. If at all possible you should mount the TV mount to a stud.

Harbor freight has at least two different mounts. the cheap one is cheap and flimsy. The more expensive one is quite. a bit better. I will see soon.
    Bill D.

I used the HFT mount that often goes on sale for like $15 for each of my daughters' TVs a few months ago. I was honestly impressed with the quality of the mount and it was more than sufficient for even TVs larger than the 42" units I bought them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is hard to find the studs so I would like to have a plan before I start.

Bill D.
    You can use rare earth magnets or a metal detector to find the screws or nails holding the drywall in place, which will tell you where the studs are. The rare earth magnets will stick to the wall directly on a screw or nail.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It’s good to know the HF mounts have improved. I’ll have to take another look for the new tv going in upstairs.

When you do your outlet - spring for the leviton with built in surge protection.

I used the cheap HF mount to put up My daughter's 40 inch TV. Worked great. SHe did not need something that swung out from the wall and tilted into the closet., Aimed toward her bed and desk and tilted slightly down ward was all that was required. I have a more expensive one from Best Buy holding a 32 inch tv our kitchen and it is not nearly as solid.

The coolest mount I have ever seen was one that lowered the TV from the ceiling. Of course those folks had a huge 65 inch TV 8 years ago already. It used an accessory mode on the remote to operate the mount.

Finding the stud is hard maybe the magnets will work but the nails are under 1/2" of plaster so maybe not.. I bought another stud detector last week and it works okay. I have to get at least 3-4 reading vertical for me to trust it. The walls are 1/2 button board with 1/2" plaster on top. The buttons will fool the detector and they are in a vertical lines about every 12 inches I guess.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Finding the stud is hard maybe the magnets will work but the nails are under 1/2" of plaster so maybe not.. I bought another stud detector last week and it works okay. I have to get at least 3-4 reading vertical for me to trust it. The walls are 1/2 button board with 1/2" plaster on top. The buttons will fool the detector and they are in a vertical lines about every 12 inches I guess.
    Bill D.
    Try the nail trick or a small drill bit where you think the stud is.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Try the nail trick or a small drill bit where you think the stud is.
    We call that search and destroy

I would pay attention to where all your A/V hookups are, and NOT put the receptacle in that area behind the TV, but on the opposite side or in an opposite corner. Also, this depends on how you use the TV, but I suspect you are more likely to have the TV either flat (parallel to the wall) or tilted down (top further from the wall). As such, it's better to install the receptacle high behind the TV to reduce plug interference. Think long and hard about how high you want the TV, too--I see many TVs that are mounted too high. It makes my neck hurt just seeing them. If it's in front of a couch and 8-10 feet away or so, you want it pretty low (center of TV about seated eye level or a little lower). If it's across the room from a pool table, then it can be up near the ceiling even.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore