Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Mounting tv to a wall outlet location

I agree with Jason. For "media room" type viewing, too high up is a royal pain, but for bedroom use, higher is more acceptable and comfortable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I will be mounting a 45" tv to the wall of the living room. Harbor Freight actually had a good mount on sale for black friday so I have that. Question is where to mount the outlet. I will cut in a outlet near floor level and one above somewhere behind the tv. It is hard to find the studs so I would like to have a plan before I start.
    Any thoughts on best location for the outlet above or below center of the mount, left or right make any difference? This will be a double box with 120 and another side for low voltage signal wiring. All I can find online is think about it before deciding with no real information.
    The source of your ennui is that your tv is way too small, unless you will be sitting only inches away from it. OTOH, if you're really gonna be using a HF mount, maybe it's for the best that it's super light. Ow, those welds.

There are kits such as the Arlington TVBR2505K (for example) that allow you to easily route wiring behind the wall and stay within code, but you probably already knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Try the nail trick or a small drill bit where you think the stud is.
    Or just measure and take an educated guess. Start from where you know a stud is, a corner for instance, and measure out 16 inches or multiples thereof and try that vicinity.

I have those Rock Plaster walls, The Franklin Stud finder, is the only one I have found that is somewhat accurate. https://www.amazon.com/ProSensor-710.../dp/B0064EICKG, I believe the same one is in a kit at Costco last time I was there. I was going to wall mount my 40 inch, but have decided to use a stand mount and integrate it into a stereo cabinet, that has been on the back project burner for some time. https://www.ebay.com/p/BellO-TP4444-....c100005.m1851 then mounting it to this Wood store project plan: https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...nt-center-plan. Eliminates the wall holes too, gives adjustment to the height. Dan

Another question. This is a exterior wall with cellulose insulation. I would like to use conduit for the low voltage wires. I plan to run a LAN or HIDMI cable. I can find plenty of conduit fill tables but I would prefer to use cables with the ends already attached. For one or two cable sit is cheaper to buy premade ones rather then the two tools needed to crimp them up.
    I was hoping one inch conduit will be big enough. The 120 wires will just be free inside the wall not in the conduit with the signal wires.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    I have those Rock Plaster walls, The Franklin Stud finder, is the only one I have found that is somewhat accurate. https://www.amazon.com/ProSensor-710.../dp/B0064EICKG, I believe the same one is in a kit at Costco last time I was there.
    Somebody else posted a thread about plaster, but I've only worked with drywall in this context, and the Franklin ProSensor 710 is the best I've worked with, almost as good as using your knuckles on the wall and listening. The trick there is to use the device to locate the rough location of the stud, put some masking tape across it, and mark the apparent edges of the stud approaching it from both directions with the device. That will get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The 120 wires will just be free inside the wall not in the conduit with the signal wires.
    It's still not clear what you mean by that, i.e. "the 120 wires will just be free inside the wall".

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It's still not clear what you mean by that, i.e. "the 120 wires will just be free inside the wall".
    Sounds like he is planning to run 120V power in the wall by fishing romex in the stud cavity, but running the signal wires in some conduit.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I would run MC cable in the wall