Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother of All Bandsaws

Mother of All Bandsaws

Dang, this thang should be worth more than $500 in recyclable metal,

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/tls/d/b...660079966.html
    Last edited by julian abram; 08-03-2018 at 12:16 AM.

36" Tannewitz

1272-C.jpg

42" yates

bandsaw.3.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Dang, this thang should be worth more than $500 in recyclable metal,

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/tls/d/b...660079966.html
    Most recycle cast-iron is less than $.10 pound... not sure what that weighs, but I’m going to guess 2000 pounds. By my estimate this is slightly double scrap prices. I wonder what else is wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    not sure what that weighs, but I’m going to guess 2000 pounds.
    Not too far off, probably around 1600lbs. It is obvious it has lived a "hard" life and I'm guessing the one for sale is the one missing the upper wheel door.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yep, soon as it’s missing the upper wheel door... it’s vintage value drops to scrap iron or their close to. Just the motor on the used market is probably worth $200

Old saws are only worth what you can sell them for. When I sold my commercial building I had a 36" Oliver that I had no place to put at the new digs, and I sold it for $500. Working saw, all the parts there, everyone loved it but when it came right down to it it was just too big for most. Was asking $2000, but when it came down to the wire I had to accept the low offer. Oh, I gave away a Porter Jointer as I could not sell it as well.

For a little bit more, this one is complete with blade: https://richmond.craigslist.org/tls/...657250171.html

$1,000 will buy you this 36” Tannewitz in Pittsburgh. Wish I had the room!

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tl...641365086.html

Photo included for when link goes dead...

A50E16FC-7D1C-4A47-A466-CD5B857585E2.jpeg
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Yeah, thats a great saw and about 25 mins from me. Its an old listing, if i remember correctly. No way i have the ceiling height nor the space for that machine. I need deals like that to be around in ten years when i have a proper shop space not in a basement.

The Tanny in Steel Town is an excellent example of how unwanted the big old saws are. They are without question some of the best bandsaws every made but the supply far outstrips demand. Industry doesn't want them since pattern shops are all but dead, the production work once done with them has moved to CNC etc and the few instances where they are used the ones they already have will likely last another 50 years. For the hobby guys that would love them they represent a big logistical hurdle, they are tall and weigh a ton (often literally). Moving a massive old table saw or a huge shaper is much easier to move than a bandsaw and even if one has the vertical space they often don't have a door to accommodate getting them into their shop. For the guy that has the logistics covered (pole barn with a tall ceiling and a 12+ rollup door and access to a forklift) they are about the best bargain in woodworking machines. Going back to the 36" Tannewitz it is selling for about 3 cents on the dollar compared to a new one and given its apparent condition would work for 5 generations of hobbyists with at most a set of bearings. For the same price new you could buy a 14" Asian saw... or at least the cheaper ones.

the 30" are much more manageable to handle although old bandsaws are not hard to move as they are so bottom heavy. Door height is the real problem for the 36". You need to make sure those with Carter wheels are in decent shape. They are more expensive to fix and very difficult to find replacements for that cost less than the whole saw. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The Tanny in Steel Town is an excellent example of how unwanted the big old saws are. They are without question some of the best bandsaws every made but the supply far outstrips demand. Industry doesn't want them since pattern shops are all but dead, the production work once done with them has moved to CNC etc and the few instances where they are used the ones they already have will likely last another 50 years. For the hobby guys that would love them they represent a big logistical hurdle, they are tall and weigh a ton (often literally). Moving a massive old table saw or a huge shaper is much easier to move than a bandsaw and even if one has the vertical space they often don't have a door to accommodate getting them into their shop. For the guy that has the logistics covered (pole barn with a tall ceiling and a 12+ rollup door and access to a forklift) they are about the best bargain in woodworking machines. Going back to the 36" Tannewitz it is selling for about 3 cents on the dollar compared to a new one and given its apparent condition would work for 5 generations of hobbyists with at most a set of bearings. For the same price new you could buy a 14" Asian saw... or at least the cheaper ones.
    Just last evening I was discussing a Northfield #4 table saw for $1000 just down the road with my son. Needs a little work, but in usable condition. I'd love to have it to use and eventually probably fully restore. But ... 1800lbs of iron means it's immovable IF I could get it in my shop and IF I still had room to work around it (which in my current space I would not). Sigh. I should just bite the bullet, spend $100K on a bigger and more accessible shop and indulge my tool fantasies.

Or, I could just make wood chips with the (much) lower grade of machine I have, and save the money ...

A pallet jack and a vfd and you are good to go. Dave

I can't keep 36" saws around for long. Tannewitz has the name, the old Yates had the looks, the Fay and egan 950s put them all to shame in size and weight. Most underrated big saw out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Just last evening I was discussing a Northfield #4 table saw for $1000 just down the road with my son. Needs a little work, but in usable condition. I'd love to have it to use and eventually probably fully restore. But ... 1800lbs of iron means it's immovable IF I could get it in my shop and IF I still had room to work around it (which in my current space I would not). Sigh. I should just bite the bullet, spend $100K on a bigger and more accessible shop and indulge my tool fantasies.

Or, I could just make wood chips with the (much) lower grade of machine I have, and save the money ...
    Mediocrity never inspired anyone. Stand in awe of greatness and you will be inspired to greatness yourself.