Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother of All Bandsaws

My 1936 Oliver 217 with the cast aluminum doors looks pretty sweet but I saw a picture of a F and E 30" 950 with doors that had slots cut in them and I still long for it. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    My 1936 Oliver 217 with the cast aluminum doors looks pretty sweet but I saw a picture of a F and E 30" 950 with doors that had slots cut in them and I still long for it. Dave
    They are an impressive saw, great tension set up, slick tracking set up and 3k pounds of cast iron.

Was it this one?

301-A.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

A pallet jack and a vfd and you are good to go. Dave
    Not a bad thought. Still need a bigger door and more floor space, but ... might just take a look.

Yes Van. Probably over at owwm. Restored about 20 years ago and I've not seen those doors on another. My assumption they are original might be wrong. That frame style needs to be stronger than a C frame like the Oliver or Tanny so the castings were generally much thicker. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Mediocrity never inspired anyone. Stand in awe of greatness and you will be inspired to greatness yourself.
    Wowwwwww! You should coin that saying, And hang it in your shop! That was brilliantly said.

I have moved my 36" Crescent twice through standard height man doors by removing the upper wheel and its support bracket from the main casting.

The beautiful Robinson 30" getting squeezed into the shop.

1-SAM_1891.JPG1-Robinson Arrival (17).JPG1-Robinson Arrival (18).JPG1-SAM_1911.JPG

Mark, that's like a magic trick, you show the pledge, turn and prestige but you ain't sharing the "magic".

BTW that is a gorgeous saw, I have never seen one of those, is it Robinson & Sons from England? If so I have never seen any of their bandsaws, just a table saw and their resaws. You guys in the north get all the neat UK machines. I also have a thing for the MUCH smaller Canadian Beaver 3300. When I have to travel to the eastern border states I always check CL and Kijiji but I haven't had any luck yet.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 08-04-2018 at 1:15 AM.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Built real similar to the Robinson Resaws.
    On my next list, besides a sexy Scandinavian sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Built real similar to the Robinson Resaws.
    Their resaws remind me of a football lineman just so low wide and powerful looking. They also look amazingly complicated for a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Mediocrity never inspired anyone. Stand in awe of greatness and you will be inspired to greatness yourself.
    Mark,

Agree, and for the 60 or hours/week I spend at the hospital, I live by that maxim. Not quite that ambitious for the few hours I get in the wood shop ... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Mark, that's like a magic trick, you show the pledge, turn and prestige but you ain't sharing the "magic".

BTW that is a gorgeous saw, I have never seen one of those, is it Robinson & Sons from England? If so I have never seen any of their bandsaws, just a table saw and their resaws. You guys in the north get all the neat UK machines. I also have a thing for the MUCH smaller Canadian Beaver 3300. When I have to travel to the eastern border states I always check CL and Kijiji but I haven't had any luck yet.

The Robinson, to me is an awe inspiring machine; for a small machine it is massively built and has beautiful lines and great adjustments.

This was a tight fit for sure; I removed table, the upper doors and upper wheel. The upper wheel cover is a separate piece and comes of, also, so then your down to the main casting. It was still too tall to get in with it on the pallet.
    So being that it weighs in at 2300lbs lifting off of the pallet was the big problem.
    I found an easy way to do that.
    i moved the machine on the pallet up til the top hit the building.
    Then put a 6x6 on the ground behind the pallet.
    With a bar under the base i levered the saw back 6" so that it was over the 6x6
    Then put the car jack between the top of the bandsaw and the shop and cranked it a bit, that tilted the bandsaw back onto the 6x6 releasing the pallet.
    I the removed the pallet and shoved in the pallet jack, and craanked up the pallet jack.
    released the car jack and removed the 6x6, then lowered the pallet jack as low as i could and scraped through the opening with a couple of thou clearance.
    it could easily have been an inch too tall and caused trouble, but it went very easy, and was a great feeling for everything to go so well.

1-Robinson Arrival (18).JPG1-Robinson Arrival (20).JPG2-Robinson Arrival (23).JPG3-Robinson Arrival (24).JPG4-Robinson Arrival (22).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Mark,

Agree, and for the 60 or hours/week I spend at the hospital, I live by that maxim. Not quite that ambitious for the few hours I get in the wood shop ... yet.
    If you already have that mindset, it transfers to other areas. You dont have to have all of the most expensive equipment, you work with what you have; Take a cheap handplane, fine tune it to make it work well, see how beautiful the shavings are, and incredible a finely planed surface is, that is still inspiring to me after 45 years. we find inspiration all around. A nice well tuned tool or machines certain provides inspiration. A fine tablesaw or bandsaw is a pleasure to use. If you get the chance to get one, even/especially an old one, its worth the effort and struggle.

If you follow Mark's work you know that he doesn't just talk the talk. Check out his T17 resto over at Canadianwoodworking. Dave