Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on How to Correct a Loose Fitting Tenon

Tips on How to Correct a Loose Fitting Tenon

I know this probably never happens to any of you all , but I let my saw wander a little too much when sawing a tenon for a roubo workbench build I'm working on. Now, the tenon fit is a little too loose for my liking; it's not off by a ton, but the joint comes together with pretty much no resistance, and won't quite stay together on its own. Given that I don't have the material on hand to make a replacement, is there a good way to "repair" this tenon to make it fit appropriately?

A couple things to note... This is for me and a workbench, so it doesn't have to be cosmetically perfect, but I don't want to have a compromised joint that will cause problems down the road. Second, I do plan on drawboring with 1 or 2 dowels. That should help with the holding power, right?

You'll probably get better answers, but I've used the cheek offcuts to glue back on the tenon cheek, then have another go at sizing the tenon from there. Since the tenon is not visible it doesn't have any cosmetic drawbacks.

Leave it, it's plenty strong enough after drawboring

Jeff said it - glue some wood to the loose tenon face and trim it down to the correct thickness. Some folks glue plane curls to the cheek if they only need a few thousands and avoid having to trim it.
    David

What Kees said for drawbored M&T.

What Jeff said for glue-only M&T.

You are also now contractually obligated to show us your workbench when it's finished.

Glue and saw dust! Just kidding.

Since you wanted tips...not just techniques:

Now, no jokes, bet you never heard of it: a piece of thick paper, if your fit is just tiny loose (that's the impression you gave). Thick paper is wood fibre, but thinner than a thin veneer which may be too thick for the gap.

Never tried the paper trick myself, but have been told repeatedly by those (good woodworkers) who did it that it really works.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by David Myers View Post
    What Kees said for drawbored M&T.

What Jeff said for glue-only M&T.

You are also now contractually obligated to show us your workbench when it's finished.
    Thanks, all! Jeff, this is the only image I have so far... it is an in progress shot of working on the vise. It will have to do for now. Hopefully, I'll have more after this weekend.
    media-1533241020700-Aug_1_2018_9_35_PM.jpg

I'd just wedge the thing during glue up

The best way in my experience is to glue an offcut on the tenon. But as Kees said, drawboring, (and the stress from the other joints) should get it nice and rigid.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for gluing on thick shavings or a piece of veneer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Glue and saw dust! Just kidding.

Since you wanted tips...not just techniques:

Now, no jokes, bet you never heard of it: a piece of thick paper, if your fit is just tiny loose (that's the impression you gave). Thick paper is wood fibre, but thinner than a thin veneer which may be too thick for the gap.

Never tried the paper trick myself, but have been told repeatedly by those (good woodworkers) who did it that it really works.

Simon
    Business cards make good shims.

I've used them to help me determine which cheek of a tenon needs to be corrected.

And I'm pretty sure there's one in at least one in one of my drawbored workbench joints.

Quote Originally Posted by David Myers View Post
    Business cards make good shims.

I've used them to help me determine which cheek of a tenon needs to be corrected.

And I'm pretty sure there's one in at least one in one of my drawbored workbench joints.
    So here is one independent verifier (we never met before right?) of the paper trick.

David C., if you are reading this, the ruler trick has company!

Simon

13. Depends on the size, type, and placement. Through mortise from leg to top? Wedge it. Housed from rail to leg? Draw boring and glue is likely strong enough. Loose enough to rattle? Glue more material on and plane down to fit. And all of that changes between 3x3 and 6x6 material.

How loose is it? 0.005", 0.030", or 1/8" too loose?

notebook/printer paper is about 0.003".
    Veneer runs right at 0.020".

Glue 1 strip of veneer on 1 side to make up 0.020". 1 strip on each side for 0.040".

If it needs to stay centered - shave the tenon so it's 0.040" undersize and then glue a strip of veneer on each side.. Build up more as needed....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post

Simon
    When making duplicate pieces or when wood turning a layer of paper is used to attach bowls to their lathes for turning or to hold multiple pieces together for sanding or trimming, and later the paper will allow the work pieces to break free without damaging the wood. In fact just this morning I watch a show where the woodworker was carving an Alpine horn and he used a layer of paper to temporarily connect the two halves of the bell while he shaped the outside. He was able to separate the halves with no damage. With that in mind I would think that paper in a joint would weaken the joint. Personally, I glue the off cut back in place and re-trim the tenon.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute