Thread: Wooden baseball bat mugs???

Wooden baseball bat mugs???

Does anyone know where I might could order wooden baseball bat mug blanks? I've tried searching for them, but can only find ones that include engraving. What about making your own? Has anyone tried cutting down a baseball bat and hollowing it out? Would you finish it with a food safe epoxy? And would that keep liquid from being absorbed by the wood? Thanks in advance!

Luke
    Boss Laser LS 1630 60W

Is this just for you or do you have orders waiting? Otherwise anyone with a wood turning lathe could surely make one or a 100 for you, at a price.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks for the reply Bill. I had a customer asking about them for gifts. They will not need them soon, but I was just looking into getting them and I couldn't find them blank. I have talked with a local guy who does turning. I think if I can get the bats he can drill out the hole and put a smooth bottom for it to stand on. Now to find some sealer that is food grade safe and will not let liquid seep through!
    Boss Laser LS 1630 60W

I would contact Louisville Slugger and see if they have any bad ones that the would sell

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Puckett View Post
    Does anyone know where I might could order wooden baseball bat mug blanks? I've tried searching for them, but can only find ones that include engraving. What about making your own? Has anyone tried cutting down a baseball bat and hollowing it out? Would you finish it with a food safe epoxy? And would that keep liquid from being absorbed by the wood? Thanks in advance!

Luke
    My fear would be that no matter what you do they won't be dishwasher or microwave safe. And even hot beverages might present a challenge over time.

But yes, you could probably drill out the core and/or use a lathe to open it up pretty easily. Though all the pictures I've seen searching seem to be more similar to pint, highball or pilsner glasses than actual "mugs".
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Here's the full story on how the ones I believe you've seen are made:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/Former...ness_164961406
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Thanks Keith, Those are some that I found (made buy that company). I have found some 2.5"diameter baseball bats for around $10. I think a won't have any trouble getting them hollowed out, but I agree with you on holding the liquid. I don't think anything will be dishwasher or microwave save and i worry about what "strong" drinks in them might do to the finish as well. I think I will give it a try though. I just have to find the best sealer or food save epoxy or oil. Thanks for all your help! If I do end up making some I will post picture (if I remember!)
    Boss Laser LS 1630 60W

Maple bats may be OK as that is what a lot of butcher block is made from

Why not just find a liner for the bat - cup. Either a plastic or ceramic cup inside the wood shell.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

These are proprietary products fabricated by a few companies, which offer laser engraving. They are actual bats that are coated with an epoxy ($$$) that takes around 30 days to fully cure for food use. Just like a nice wood bowl or cutting board, it is not a product for the dishwasher or microwave.

Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 08-06-2018 at 2:21 PM.

just to be the rain on the parade, and just my opinion, but - seems to me a stiff breeze would tip these things over? Without some sort of stable base for these to fit into, they're practically useless for anything but a knick-knack (which the wife wouldn't care to have tip over in the curio cabinet either!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Matt, When you say proprietary, do you mean that there is a patent on a baseball bat mug? Making this illegal for someone to make and sell if they don't have permission to use a baseball bat mug design?
    Boss Laser LS 1630 60W

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Puckett View Post
    Matt, When you say proprietary, do you mean that there is a patent on a baseball bat mug? Making this illegal for someone to make and sell if they don't have permission to use a baseball bat mug design?
    What I mean is that these pieces are produced only for the company to engrave and sell retail. I don’t know if any patents are involved, but can be sussed out pretty quickly.

Outside of fabricating the product in-house — if popular — might eventually show up on the Chinese wholesale websites.