Thread: Cheap workbench top build suggestions

Cheap workbench top build suggestions

I finished my first woodworking project awhile ago, almost entirely hand tools- with lots of questions here and there to you guys which as been immensely helpful. I'm eager to build more, but the biggest thing I learned from the project is what I need from a basic bench, and how inadequate my current store bought bench is. It's racked, it's sagging very significantly in the center, the laminations are splitting apart, the vise has lots of play, the dog holes are too lose...I considered reinforcing it, flattening it, and adding a new vise, but the top is less than .75" thick and it seems any time or money spent trying to improve the bench I have would be a waste.

But I also have this 20+ year old craftsman cabinet (photo from the internet, but exact same model):

craftsmenbench.jpg

It's a great size for my small space, it's very sturdy, and heavy enough for me (especially when loaded with my tools, which it can fit all of perfectly.) And it's free because I already have it.

Under the top there is no central support- the factory melamine top is attached to a ~1" turned over metal lip that runs along the long edges only, with 4 screw holes. Rough illustration:

craftsmantopledge.jpg

I'd like to put on a new top, drill some dog holes, and attach a vise on the face and the end. I will likely find used cast iron vises fairly cheap.

But I'm not sure how to handle the top...

I think I've read every variant of the "cheap beginner bench" article on the internet by now.

The cheapest option I can think of is to use one layer of 1.5" MDF (which I can source locally) or laminate multiple sheets of MDF (which add at the very least the expense of a router to trim the edges flush) - and screw it on. My reservation with this is that it will almost certainly sag on the ends under the weight of the vises, and likely sag in the center. I'm not sure what options there would be to add support given the way the base is made and my limited knowledge.

Any suggestions on how to build adequate support to keep MDF flat on this base?

Alex,

The cheapest good slab can be made from 2X10 or 2X12 construction grade lumber. SYP or DF depending on where you live. I've used both. Rip the 2X's to width (planned depth of slab) cutting out the middle of the board and then face glue the slats to desired width of slab. Doing it this way will give you two quarter sawn slats per 2X. Quick, easy, cheap, and strong. Much better than any plywood or MDF made slab.

ken

You can also do a used solid core door.
    If you have it properly supported, it'll be fine for a while.

Then you can make a nice top out of maple.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion would be to use something else such as what Ken suggested.

My second suggestion would be to make a base something other than the tool box if you are serious about doing woodworking. If you do some serious planing past the top of the box, even with a bunch of weight in the box, the thing will tip.

A good Douglas Fir 4X6X12' beam at Home Depot is listed at $25.10, local prices may differ. That is enough for four legs.

Not sure where to source it in your area, but laminated 2X4s to make a 20"+ beam was ~$25 a foot on my last inquiry a few months ago. A building supply store should be able to help find one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you guys. I've considered already the option of laminating a slab from boards myself and decided against it- but I may end up there just the same. If I were to do it, I would get the lumber from the hardwood dealer- softwood there would be cheaper than 2x4s from Home Depot and wouldn't have rounded edges. I'd also need to buy quite a few more clamps. And a large hand saw to cut off the ends. It's probably not the right forum to say this but I don't think that solid wood is the best material for a bench top (or even rectangular furniture pieces.) If a functional requirement of a workbench is that it be flat, a material that inevitably needs to be planed every season seems like a design flaw. But it's also a good possibility that a sound workbench from engineered materials can't be made without large stationary power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My suggestion would be to use something else such as what Ken suggested.

My second suggestion would be to make a base something other than the tool box if you are serious about doing woodworking. If you do some serious planing past the top of the box, even with a bunch of weight in the box, the thing will tip.

A good Douglas Fir 4X6X12' beam at Home Depot is listed at $25.10, local prices may differ. That is enough for four legs.

Not sure where to source it in your area, but laminated 2X4s to make a 20"+ beam was ~$25 a foot on my last inquiry a few months ago. A building supply store should be able to help find one.

jtk
    Thank you Jim. I could bolt it to the concrete floor if that were an issue. My garage floods a couple times a year, another advantage of the steel base is I'm a lot less concerned about it getting wet at the bottom.