Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

So, I managed to get most of my tools worked into the remaining box, and a few things shuffled around. I can start to see some floor opening up already which leads me to a question or two.

> Assembly table and workbench - I’m thinking my large 8’ x 2.5’ assembly table (grandfathers table I want to keep in the mix) should be assessable on all sides but will I be limiting myself too much if I put a workbench against the wall? This would limit usage to one or two sides I guess but it has me thinking it really needs to be open on all sides for maximum usage also. Or should I put the assembly table against the wall and put workbench in open space.

> Been thinking about trying to work my router table into either my saw right side table or possibly my outfeed table. If into my saws right side table, I’d have to rearrange everything to get access to that end of the table since now it has the jointer and bandsaw there along it’s the drop down dust collector piping. i found a bench that has a router built in that has me thinking about trying to put it in the outfeed table but not sure what to do. But maybe combining these items makes some sense. https://lakeerietoolworks.wordpress....ubo-workbench/

still have have a long ways to go to get the floor placement and flow where I want it but selling that 6’ toolbox was the first big step. Next up will be the miter station.
    p3015088035-3.jpg

p3015086847-3.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-12-2018 at 7:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    ...I’m thinking my large 8’ x 2.5’ assembly table (grandfathers table I want to keep in the mix) should be assessable on all sides...
    Actually having access to 3 sides is quite enough. My main bench/assembly table serves as an outfeed table to 2 tablesaws and works fine.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The types and sizes of the projects you do will enter into the conversation relative to whether or not having one side of your assembly table on the wall will matter or not...it wouldn't work for me in some cases, but would in others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I feel your pain.

In prep for moving my miter station out I exchanged my newly acquired but unopened incra miter express for a miter 5000 sled. Didn’t realize the express was smaller and Thought this would help with making many of the cuts I regularly used the miter station for. I’ll of course keep a miter saw handy but not setup in a permanent location most likely. This will cut down on floor space requirements. Gonna get that full sized workbench and aircraft carrier sized planer/jointer combo or separates in here come heck or high water.

Also so picked up a 6” woodpeckers try square, a pfeil marking knife, an incra protractor and a veritas dual marking gauge. Slowly getting a few things knocked out.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-18-2018 at 8:02 AM.

Greg, sounds like things are moving along and coming together! Good work, no miter saw will feel awkward at first, but you will get used to it.

Love your train of thought Greg. Envious of how you are maximizing every inch of your space. I am an organization guy but I have 3 times the space so it's a lot easier for me to do so. Looking forward to seeing more pics!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At it again. Round two of the above. Making another big mess and culling lots more stuff to thin down items. Took down wall cabinets and front wall items to make room for the tool chest, and the other tall silver cabinet. Unfortunately the drywall is a mess but I’ll worry about it later. Probably won’t have room to rehang these 4 metal wall cabinets but will wait to see. This is opening up lots of floor space though. Hopefully the jointer departs tomorrow and I’ll start dismantling the miter station next. Anyway, enjoy the mess and Feel free to have a laugh as I compact 9 years worth of accumulation into 1/2 the storage cabinets and space.

p3036415843-3.jpg

p3036415946-4.jpg

p3036416999-4.jpg

Compacted most of the 4 hanging cabinets into this standing cabinet. Culled our about 1/2 of everything so far getting it to fit. Made 3 or 4 passes through doing trash, recycle, goodwill and hazmat disposal trips.

p3036474882-4.jpg

Got the front wall wall set except for putting the dehumidifier back in place. This fills this whole wall but frees up the floor space otherwise taken by these pieces in other areas. Just have to finish going through everything that needs to be compacted into these cabinets.

p3036533693-3.jpg

More to come!
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-26-2018 at 6:05 PM.

You're definitely going to "have a clue" about all the stuff you have by the time you're done!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You're definitely going to "have a clue" about all the stuff you have by the time you're done!
    I will for sure. Still a lot of things to sift through and further organize. Trying to take the “haven’t touched it in years, it can go” approach. It’s hard to go through a shop and effectively force yourself to pare down to 1/2 of everything.

I keep imagining the A3-31 and one day a K3 (or similar minimax) sitting in there to keep me motivated. Think I’ve convinced myself to replace my PM66 with a Slider machine in the next year or two.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-27-2018 at 4:52 PM.

PROGRESS

The Powermatic 6” Jointer and the Dewalt DW735 planer are sold and gone. The small workbench that had the dehumidifier on it by the inside garage door is gone. Two of the four metal wall cabinets are gone. And about 1/2 of the contents of all of the wall and floor cabinets have been culled. Whew............

Next up, the guy who purchased my jointer owns a cabinet shop and has multiple warehouses stuffed full of materials, cabinet pieces, etc. He is looking to clean them out and is interested in my remaining 2 wall cabinets, my miter station with dewalt saw, and my Grizzly G7944 floor drill press (which I planned to replace one day with a different one). So we are bartering a deal to trade these items for kiln dried hard wood boards. He is putting together a load of items to offer in trade and so far I’ve seen pictures of some really nice looking cherry and some mahogany. Might be a great deal in that I free up space, get some material I can use, and he cleans out warehouse space and gets tools he can fold into his shop. Plus, he is buying like 2,000 board foot at a time, so his material costs are a fraction of mine.

Found out Hammer A3-31 is crated up and ready to ship from Felder in Delaware any moment so I’m thinking it will be here next week some time. Think I have a game plan to rotate my table saw island 180 degrees once the miter bench is gone. This would put the lathe and jointer/planer across the aisle from each other which seems like a workable position

Wow Greg, you are making great progress. It sounds like trading the other stuff for hardwoods could work great for both parties. Make sure you post those before and after pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Wow Greg, you are making great progress. It sounds like trading the other stuff for hardwoods could work great for both parties. Make sure you post those before and after pics.
    Will do. We are planning the swap/trade for Tuesday. No clue what all he has rounded up or how much yet, but he has an idea of what my interests and storage limits are.

Email confirmed my Hammer is on the way with arrival estimated for Wednesday at the local terminal. Hopefully get it Thursday or Friday.

Greg, after looking at all the pics of your workshop and all the tools in it, I think you might be missing a tool, but for the life of me, I don't know what.

But seriously, in my old shop, I had everything working pretty well. Tools on either side and an aisle in the middle where tools can be rolled out.

Sure do miss that shop...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, that shop looked great. I’ve been trying to avoid the mobile tool route. Much nicer to have everything in a permanent place when moving between stations on a project. So far my only transition piece was the planner being hinged on a shelf on side of outfeed table. Worked great but interfered with table saw clearance on some wider cuts.

Anyway, I think I have this worked out, in my head anyway, so that most everything will be in a fixed position. Will see how it unfolds but the jointer planer will of course be a transitional tool in the shop.