Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodshop layout shuffle number 1-million......

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    You're the second person to say ditch the miter saw.
    I believe Thomas was just saying to put the miter saw on something more portable to make space more flexible. Personally, I think that the general reaction to consolidate work surfaces to free up space is well intentioned. A big part of some of the shop reorganization that I've done over time was precisely along those lines so I would have more flexible space availability for both assembly and finishing. I leverage some temporary work surfaces that I can store away when not in use to help support that goal so if I need a "big" space, I can make it happen and when I need to hold up a whole bunch of things, I can make that happen, too. Flexibility really is the key to making modest shop dimensions be as big as they can be!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I believe Thomas was just saying to put the miter saw on something more portable to make space more flexible. Personally, I think that the general reaction to consolidate work surfaces to free up space is well intentioned. A big part of some of the shop reorganization that I've done over time was precisely along those lines so I would have more flexible space availability for both assembly and finishing. I leverage some temporary work surfaces that I can store away when not in use to help support that goal so if I need a "big" space, I can make it happen and when I need to hold up a whole bunch of things, I can make that happen, too. Flexibility really is the key to making modest shop dimensions be as big as they can be!
    I get that and did take it constructively even if it didn’t seem that way. It’s good to hear other points on it to get me thinking. May not change anything but it opens my mind to other alternatives which is a good thing. Thanks.

I've often stood there in the shop just "contemplating things" over the years around what could change to make space, workflow or storage better. In recent years, it started to evolve to what I described above...simplification for more flexibility. It can be very difficult to make some of these changes or to "give up" what we might perceive as being essential. Storage is an example...we "need" all those nooks and crannies and cabinets and drawers, but sometimes if we look at things objectively, we find that our issue isn't so much space as it is organization and being willing to get rid of stuff we will never use. That was really hard for me because I'm very inclined to hold onto things and not only does the mean clutter, it also becomes difficult to actually know what I have. Most recently, I installed some "new" cabinets in my shop after replacing the kitchen uppers in the house and I actually have had trouble filling them. I'm sure that "problem" will resolve, however, and the target will always remain freeing up floor space and my remaining work surfaces for most efficient use.

Slow steps are best, however, but you'll get there.
    --

Great choices on your first couple of planes.

I'll give you 3 months tops before you decide that your next project needs to be a workbench designed to support hand tool work.

From the pictures of your shop, it looks like your assembly table with a little extra bracing here and there might withstand racking forces when you need to do hand planing, but for hand tool work in the long term, you are going to want a stouter top.

You can make do with workholding by using clamps, blocks, battens, but a workbench designed to support hand tool work is a) fun to build; b) a joy to own and use and c) a great excuse for buying a few chisels for mortises and tenons, and a no 7 or no 8 jointer for flattening the top. You might even squeeze in a shoulder plane for tenons, and tenon saw. This then becomes the gateway drug, I mean natural progression, to a dovetail saw and even more chisels, planes, rasps, fret saws, handsaws, back saws. Welcome to the hand tool side of the creek!

I’m looking at my shop and considering all the comments and am thinking about the direction I’m wanting to move. Ultimately I want to simplify the shop a little but want to include a real and proper workbench and a combo jointer/planer. This means needing to do a little change up but nothing that can’t be accomplished once I can afford these additions.

In the mean time I’ve put that 56” tool chest up for sale, and am considering trying to sell the miter station bench also. This would free up a bunch of wall frontage floor space. With these changes I’m thinking I would eventually need to move away from my center island table saw to allow room for a large workbench and to hopefully keep my grandfathers table that I’m using for assemble/glue-up. I’d like to keep my wood rack in place but also add some sheet good storage maybe on the opposite wall beside the garage door.

Long term, I’m wanting to start working more with hand tools so that is part of this. Also, I’m thinking the track saw approach to large pieces may mean being able to move to shorter table saw rails but I’m not entirely sold on that. In the short run I gave a brief thought to drilling dog holes and mounting a Milwaukee wood vise to my saw outfeed table. It’s heavy enough and has a 1.5” butcher block top that it could support some light hand tool work until I can add a proper bench.

Am I crazy? Leave well enough alone and use what I have with the additions to my current outfeed table? Good plan? Bad plan? Thoughts based on my revised comments/thoughts? It’s easy to build a comfort with the current setup even if moving from my comfort zone could be the best outcome.

Thanks for the continued input.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-04-2018 at 12:46 PM.

I personally think you are on the right track with your thinking in this most recent post and you are not crazy! Change for the sake of change would be crazy, but change for the sake of providing a better environment that is more suited to the work you want to do as well as being more flexible is a good thing. Using myself as an example, my shop has been in place since 2000. It's gradually evolved to where it is and still likely has some more changes in store...smaller ones at this point, but whatever they are, they will be predicated by the desire to make things work better for what I'm doing now. Part of that is that my shop is now more than just a hobby, but even if that were not the case, I'd still be taking the same journey.
    --

I personally think you are on the right track with your thinking in this most recent post and you are not crazy! Change for the sake of change would be crazy, but change for the sake of providing a better environment that is more suited to the work you want to do as well as being more flexible is a good thing. Using myself as an example, my shop has been in place since 2000. It's gradually evolved to where it is and still likely has some more changes in store...smaller ones at this point, but whatever they are, they will be predicated by the desire to make things work better for what I'm doing now. Part of that is that my shop is now more than just a hobby, but even if that were not the case, I'd still be taking the same journey.

Thanks. I found another persons shop that pretty well captures what I want mine to evolve to layout wise (not sure if he is a member here). It is almost identical space except for a small alcove. Thinking I can incorporate something similar with my layout once I get a workbench and a hammer combo jointer/planer eventually. The catch for me may mean not being able to keep my grandfathers table in the mix. Plus I would have a lathe instead of the miter station. Not sure how else to cram it all in functionally but I want core machines fixed in place with only a few that must be mobile (router table and drum sander). I’m also wondering if I should keep the 56” chest and through the top box on it and sell the 72” box instead. Means giving up that bench top if I did it but would pick up more tool storage in less floor space.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...syourshop.html

Still thinking it through.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-05-2018 at 7:34 PM.

Well, I listed my 56” chest for sale and in turn the guy who contacted me rather have my 72” chest with butcher block top, so I agreed to sell it to him tomorrow evening. It’s killing me and I’m almost having a mild panic attack but I know it’s a step I need to take to free up space. I’m convincing myself that while I’m loosing that bench top, I’m gaining more tool storage in less floor footage as the 56” with top cabinet holds about 5,000 cu in more.

Once the 72” chest and the miter station are gone though I think I’m on my way to a major remake that allows me some breathing room and a cleaner slate to work from. It’s a good time to go through all my cabinets and thin down all the excess too which creates a better work environment. Lots of general junk I’ve crammed in cabinets thinking one day I’ll use them. Ugh..........

just keep telling myself how nice it will be having more open floor space and a large workbench.

You do have the option of building your router table into another surface which takes the space it requires away from the "tool coral", as it were.
    --

OMG! I’m about to cry, literally, LOL.

Cleaned out out all my tools and sold the 72” tool chest.

Then cleaned out all my tools and wrangled the 250lb top cab onto the 56” tool chest.

But, OMG what a cluster of a situation I’ve created now that will require some tough choices. Have to compact some of this down, relocate some to tool specific storage (ie: late, tablesaw, etc), and move some to craigslist or future endowment (for my son).

no new projects for a few days for sure. I’m going to just laugh my way through this to keep from crying.

p3011049908-3.jpg

p3011049913-3.jpg

p3011049876-3.jpg

p3011049914-3.jpg

So...just how many times did you say, "geepers...I didn't know I had one of those" or "geepers...THAT's where that thing was hiding!".
    --

So...just how many times did you say, "geepers...I didn't know I had one of those" or "geepers...THAT's where that thing was hiding!".
    Not surprisingly I had that happen a few times. Found an older New Britain block plane my Dad gave me. Didn’t even know I had it. Not a Lie- Nielsen but doesn’t look too bad either. Will have to get it cleaned up and see what it is.

Progress can hurt but no need to cry, just go buy a case of beer or a bottle of your favorite adult beverage. In a week you will be saying all the extra room is great.

One step ahead of you. Tito’s on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Not surprisingly I had that happen a few times. Found an older New Britain block plane my Dad gave me. Didn’t even know I had it. Not a Lie- Nielsen but doesn’t look too bad either. Will have to get it cleaned up and see what it is.
    Almost any plane can be made into a very useful tool...so that's a nice find.
    --